It's cold up North you know!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Nong Khiaw
January 18th 2009
Published: January 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After spending most of our time in Laos at more popular destinations we wanted to get away from the busy (if you can call it that!) and more into the 'REAL' Laos. The guide book describes Nong Khiaw as a 'sleepy market village' and it certainly lived up to its name!

We arrived from Luang Prabang via minibus, but many people travel upstream in a boat, which we had considered, but takes 8 hours and while it sounds very picturesque travelling through the countryside a few people said it was a tough journey.

Once off the bus we secured a cosy little bungalow just over the bridge called Lin tong, and it turned out to be perfect for our stay. The guy who owns the place is called.. Lin Tong funnily enough, and was a great host. Outside he has a sign that says he speaks French and English, the latter being limited to a few words, so he dropped a few French words into sentences hoping we would catch on, but our French is limited to 'Bonjour' and 'non', so the usual hands signs were used - hand to mouth for beer, hands together on face for sleep, and pointing into mouth for sick (more on this later)

There's not much to do in Nong Khiaw, not that its a bad thing, apart from seeing a few caves up the road and a trip fishing with the locals. We decided on neither and relaxed for a few days (a common theme - we promise to do more in Vietnam) taking in the local life.

We did go a little crazy and purchased for the first time the local Lao Lao (rice whisky) It tastes like petrol, with a kick. We ended up giving the rest of the bottle to our host as a gift. To be honest it would of been a good idea to of keep hold of it to keep us warm at night! We mentioned 2 blog's ago that Vang Vieng was chilly at night, but that was roasting compared to this place! Its ok in the day, you can get away shorts and a T shirt, but we were a little unprepared for the 'ABSOLUTELY BALTIC' nights (hopefully the capital letters will really exaggerate my point!)

One minute we were having a meal in one of the few restaurants lined on the front, and then it suddenly hit us like a bombshell. I can't explain how cold it really is. We packed shorts, T shirts, vests, a pair of socks and just one sweater... and we had the lot on going to bed that night! along with 2 duvets and our sleeping sheets!! I guess as much as the bamboo thatched bungalow was great for the day at night it was the complete opposite.

We warmed up just before bed, as Lin Tong had made a fire for the falangs (what the locals call travellers) which we all sat around. A few other falangs passing had noticed the warming flames and gathered in a big circle sharing stories of our travel so far. It was the first time we actually felt like we could advise other travelers on places we had been to and what we liked.

One other event to report on while we were in town, which was not pleasant, Michelle was sick. It's hard to pin down what it was, but we think it was a curry we had ate. It woke her up at about 2am and didn't stay around for long (I wont go into too much detail, but she didn't make it out of the room!)

We haven't really stuck to any particular route in Laos, and have just gone North, but with 2 and a bit weeks left on our Visa we were open to offers. A few others had said the village an hour up stream was their 'favourite place in all Laos', so off we go. Hopefully the rooms will have heaters, electric blankets and slippers...then again maybe not.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



19th January 2009

Jealous!
Oh Mate, I love reading your blogs now, they are brill, fell like I am with you and Mich! The photos are ace. you have a great time and lots of adventures. lots of love lorna
22nd January 2009

hope you are both ok and having a great time all ok at home and missing you both and you both look very well love mum

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb