An A + Asian adventure!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
April 8th 2003
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So much time, so little to doSo much time, so little to doSo much time, so little to do

A little girl at the markets in Luang Prabang
There are certain countries that always seem to pop up in travel conversations, and while exploring South East Asia the consistently good oil's on Laos. The planet is never so lonely after boarding an aeroplane, so let's go for a virtual tour ... to Laos! I took a flight from Sydney to Bangkok, spent a few days in the Thai capital and from there organised a bus trip to the Thai border on the Mekong river. After a short boat ride across the river I went through border formalities on the Laos side, before being stamped into this beautiful country of six million people. Laos was devastated by American bombing during the Vietnam War as the US airforce tried to destroy the Viet Cong supply lines along the legendary Ho Chi Minh trail. However, the present day sees this land of a million elephants and it's gentle people well positioned for a brighter future in the region.

From the border town of Huay Xai, dear reader, I organised a ticket on a long tail boat which meanders along the mighty Mekong river for three days to the town of Luang Prabang. This trip was recommended to me as a great
So little time, so much to doSo little time, so much to doSo little time, so much to do

An old lady selling at the markets.
travel experience, but if you are pressed for time there is also the option of going by speedboat; complete with helmets, fumes, noise and buffeting from the waves. Anyway, I had the time and the desire to explore Laos as our tourist boat cast off to cruise down the river where we witnessed the extraordinary lives of the river people; who live on, fish from and are sustained by the Mekong. The journey includes several stops along the way, where we had the opportunity to explore local villages and wander through their markets before arriving at our hostels on the river to bunk down for the night. The boat trip provides an excellent introduction to the unique countryside and the gentle people of Laos.

After a very enjoyable trip the boat arrived in Luang Prabang, and I parted company with my shipmates to check into a local hostel. I spent my first evening in town relaxing on the verandah with the staff over a beer Lao as we watched the world go by, an essential component of travelling in Asia. After listening to my friend try to lure passing tourists into the hostel I decided to try my hand at touting, and while spruiking for business met a traveller from the Czech Republic. She was walking down the street with an American guy and already had accommodation, but out of curiosity we got talking and they asked me to join them for dinner. After our night out I arranged to meet my friend next morning at the hostel, and so began a brilliant week in Luang Prabang. We spent our time strolling around the famous markets, doing a spot of shopping, eating out at restaurants, exploring the temples, going for walks around town and the nearby hilltop, and hiring bikes for a long ride outside town.

Luang Prabang has an indefinable magic and is so relaxed and friendly, with my travel friend proving to be great company. I hadn't planned to stay so long but spent a very enjoyable week in this brilliant town which ranks as one of my all time favourite destinations. Finally I moved on to Vang Vieng where I stayed a few nights and met some nice travellers. This town is famous for adventures such as caving and has a good nightlife, but I preferred the peace and tranquility when travelling in Laos. From Vang Vieng I organised a bus trip to the capital Vientiane and met a Quebecoise on the bus, and we soon became travel companions. When we arrived in Vientiane there was plenty to do and the size of the city is perfect for travellers. You can hail a ride on a tuk tuk and get to the famous temples within fifteen minutes, and we took our time taking in the sights, often in the company of a Swedish guy who was training to become a Buddhist monk. He was in town briefly on his way to the border to get his visa renewed, before heading back to his monastery and was good company.

The Laos people follow the Thai example in advertising new release movies on the boards of restaurants and hostels, which helps to keep travellers constantly entertained. We went out for meals and walks at night, watched movies, saw a live band and had a great time exploring the capital. I believe an important factor in making the most of the travel experience depends on the travellers you meet, and from my arrival in Laos I was lucky to meet great people. My travel experience was made all the more enjoyable thanks to the friendly and relaxed nature of the Laos people.

Laos is a tranquil and beautiful country with wonderful scenery to take in along the Mekong river, the street markets of Luang Prabang and the temples of Vientiane. The combination of these attractions and the wonderful people adds up to one of my favourite travel destinations where, basically all of you should be here now!


Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it." Norman Maclean


As I continue my travels, until next time it's signing off for now

Tom

Note: Feel free to post comments on this site, or click on the subscribe button for notification of upcoming travel journals


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Bizarre skylarkingBizarre skylarking
Bizarre skylarking

Drenching passing riders was a great lark for these girls. I saw one mini accident and everyone else did what they could to keep dry, all to no avail!
Laos childrenLaos children
Laos children

Swarming to be part of the frame.


11th January 2007

TravelForum
[...] planet is never so lonely after boarding an aeroplane, so let's go for a virtual tour readers...[...] www.besttourforums.com
11th January 2007

Enjoyed your blog. Am travelling to SE Asia via India and Nepal in a couple of months and blogs such as this have made me put Laos firmly on my list!
12th January 2007

Enjoyed reading your blog, and thought the photos were really good, they said it all.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb