Lai Hua Fai festival in Luangprabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
October 15th 2011
Published: October 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The "biggest party" related to the Lai Hua Fai festival of the boats of light. In Luangprabang this means a street parade of lovingly prepared floats which are subsequently launched into the Mekong, along with all manner of other lit, floating items and allowed to float down the river in hope of better luck next year, and to give thanks to the river. From the riverside restaurant we were within a block of the main street and we were right in the thick of the parade. There were many different themes to the floats including the punishments for adultery. Each was accompanied by dancers and chanters from a village or community group. There was even a fire breather who seemed to be practicing his craft with a mouthful of kerosene! Tourists were following along. Skyrockets and serious fireworks fireworks let off by people in the street, added to the atmosphere. We took advantage of a cleared path down to the waters edge to see all the bateaux and larger floats, making their way down the Mekong. We watched perplexed as the owner of a commercial longtail boat moored in the reeds assiduously extinguished all the lit bateaux as they bumped softly into his boat. I guess I would too. Again the noise ended at about 12 plus or minus. Serious fireworks all around around our guesthouse. The crowds were large but the atmosphere on the streets very pleasant. An Unique experience.

Today our guide, La and a driver picked us up and took us to a series of local monasteries and temples. Luangprabang has much to show given that it was the capital back in the 16th century AD. La is a great story teller and was able to point out many features of these temples that we would not have seen otherwise. Really impressed by the age of these temples (first built in the 1500s), also by the coloured glass based mosaics. We heard much of the Ramayana story again. Different versions to what we have heard in Bali, the Java and also India.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Passing of the first boatPassing of the first boat
Passing of the first boat

Note the fire trail of skyrockets being launched in front of the float
View across the MekongView across the Mekong
View across the Mekong

We didn't see this mega-float in the parade but saw it launched on the other side of the Mekong from Luangprabang


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb