Lazy Luang Prabang {Cath}


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
December 13th 2008
Published: February 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Even if Luang Probang was a dingy run down village with nothing to attract you to see it, I would still go just for the drive.

We left the giant limestone cliffs of Vang Vieng silhouetted in the distance as we drove off on the dusty road up the mountains towards LP. It was a breath-taking drive from the moment we left Vang Vieng. As we climbed higher and higher into the mountains, the vegetation grew thicker, intermingled with countless banana farms. Every now and then when the thick vegetation gave way to the plantations, awesome green valleys far below us would reveal themselves.

Around every other bend were the lines of small woven houses that dotted the narrow horizontal stretch between the road surface and the steep drop down the banana tree covered mountain side. Women were washing their toddlers in tubs of water just outside their woven huts, taking advantage of the midday heat (Considering we were so high up in the mountains, it was surprisingly cold!), while the older girls were helping their mothers with household chores. It really looked like a culture of their own.

During our last week in Bali, Indonesia, we decided to cut our trip short in order to surprise our families back in South Africa for Christmas. This meant that the rest of our time in Asia would be more of a giant road trip than a travel and explore holiday. The advantage of doing things this way is that although you don't get to see and experience absolutely everything at your own pace, you do see a lot, and you don't waste time finding out what there is to do!

We only arrived in Luang Probang late afternoon, and as we needed to be out again first thing in the morning, we wasted no time finding a place to stay, dumping our bags and getting into the quaint World Heritage Town. Things for the day were winding down as we strolled down the neatly gardened homes towards the Mekong river. The orange river flowed as gently and steadily as always, with very long boats nestled against the steep banks.

As we headed back up to the town, the women from the hill tribes in the area started setting out their wares for the night, under red shade canopies lit up by a single bulb dangling from it's cord. Brightly coloured silks, coffee, silver jewlery, art, wooden bowls... you name it flooded around the tribes women as they made themselves comfortable on a mat, ready for a long nights work. We spent the most of the night meandering through all the stalls, negotiating the prices of beautiful creations as we moved along, until it was time to eat.

The food market turned out to be just as interesting as the night market. Venders were cooking whole fish wedged into a piece of split bamboo, kebabs, chops and lots more over open coals. The smells were mouth watering. To go with the meat, they sell vegetable buffets. We bought a fish to share, and a buffet each, and settled onto a bench with a string of other diners also unable to resist the smells. The fish was spectacular! -As were the veges, but the fish was definitely the winner! Seasoned with lemongrass and butter and served wrapped in a banana leaf, I honestly don't think I've ever eaten another fish that delicious before. It was that good! 😊

After the night market started packing up, we moseyed down to the river again to have a drink at
LongboatsLongboatsLongboats

You can take these boats all the way to Thailand
one of the small cafe's overlooking the river. On the way we passed the biggest naartjie market I have ever seen! (Naartjies is a SA word for easy peeling oranges) I have never seen so many heaps and heaps of the orange fruits in my life before! Honestly, all the naartjies I've ever seen in my whole life must have made up maybe a quarter of the piles they had spread on the floor!

It really was such a peaceful evening. We sat by the river for a few hours snacking on fried banana chips and sipping our drinks for a few hours before eventually winding our way back through the streets to our room

Although we had no more than an evening to explore Luang Probang and enjoy it's charm, it was certainly worth the drive. First thing in the morning we were off again, back through the mountains and on down to Si Phan Don.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Local templeLocal temple
Local temple

Lit up by the setting sun
Silk sellerSilk seller
Silk seller

At the night market
Naartjies for saleNaartjies for sale
Naartjies for sale

Lots and lots of them


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb