Laos - Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
September 6th 2008
Published: September 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Laos - the morning alms in Laung Prabang with Margaret and Denis, (though Denis didnt stay in the same place as us) Henry and I booked our flights to Bangkok as we cant get flights direct to Malaysia from here and Thailand is having a bit of trouble at the moment so may not be to safe as all the trains south have been stopped and truthfully i am so fed up of the busses right now. We are Officially now FLASH PACKERS as we are going to fly Lao-Thailand/Bangkok-Malaysia. lol.
On the way home from dinner and the internet we were invited into the celebrations of a anniversary/ party where we were made to feel so welcome and we got up and danced and sang with the locals (which was a big laugh for them) and we enjoyed there hospitality sharing beer lao, noodle soup, banana chips, and hot hot hot papaya salad, at about midnight we new it was time to go as we had an early start but by the sounds of it the party continues for days.
We all got up very early to watch the monks on there morning alms at 4.30am and met up with Denis, The majority of the of the monks came out at about 6am it was a fantastic sight to see so many monks though we tried not to disturb and did not offer anything, due to the local guide books asking us not to buy from vendors, to respect the culture. We walked back to the hotel and joined once again for a short time the celebrations of the local families, they had a special table where they all left offerings for the monks who had joined them, we didnt stay to long as this was a very private time. We visited Vat Phonh Phao, Vat Xieng Thong both were fantastic and we enjoyed the views from both. Henry and I then went for lunch and walked up the 328 steps to a Temple/Vat at the top of Phousi Hill the view of the whole city was something else, with the Mekong river on one side and the Nam Khan river on the other. Fantastic we went into the cave part way down and in the evening to the night market and to the local Bar.
An early start and a great flight down to Bangkok, to get a flight to Malaysia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb