LAOS > Thailand.


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
April 15th 2008
Published: April 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok so update. Sorry for the lack, but i have been doing alot of moving around, and catching up with the lady.

We arrive to Chiang Mai with Patty and Maria, tuesday morning, check into our guesthouse and meet Candice, who was flying in the same morning. I take the jet lagged girls on a walk around the town, and before you know it, its night time, and celebrating their arrival with many a beer chang and cheap pina coladas for the ladies.

The next morning, i awoke to what i thought was an extremley hung over maria, and i ignored her moans from the bathroom, thinking she just needed to get some of the demons from the night prior that were lingering in her stomach out. I go downstairs to the girls room, and hear the same thing coming from the bathroom which was occupied by Candice. The first trip to the pharmacy, just consisted of some electrolite mix for dehydration. The second visit i came back with some perscribed "anti vomitting" pills. The thing with thai pharmacies, is you dont need a perscription for anything, you can even get valium over the counter. The third visit was me freaking out that my girfriend puked a little blood, and her friend was hallucinating and moaning in intense pain. I was very close to taking them to the hospital, but a few hours later they were laying there and seemed to be recovering...maria was eating food by 8pm. Must have been something the girls ate, and there was a reccolection of moldy peanutes at the table...that me and patty were smart enough not to touch. or it could have been that i just did not notice said peanuts....im guessing that was the case.

So we got out of thailand a few nights later, after the girls spent on shopping what i had managed to live on in 2 weeks in indonesia, and took a 2 day 1 night slow boat along the mekong river, to Luang Prabang, Laos.

So i am here right now, during the 'song kran' water festival, that is celebrated in both thailand and Laos. It runs for 3 days, consists of parades, sand castle making competitions, and of course, a city wide waterfight...children with water guns, trucks with too many people in the back and a huge bucket of water, hoses and just about anything you can get your hands on that will fling shoot or spray water at any random local or tourist and out in full force.

Laos is a breath of fresh air, just as beautiful as thailand, with an untouched ecosystem and un-exploited culture and villagers, makes me feel very happy and refreshed to be here. It was really tough to find a guesthouse when we arrived, 6 of us walked around for like 2 hours with our packs trying to find a decent priced place, that was not full. We didnt, and had to settle for a 40 US dollar a night hotel. Found a good little guesthouse the next day, and we hung out with the locals, drank Beer Lao with them and splashed and dunked water on everyone who came by.

I had to cringe when i was in thailand...especially bangkok...i was in chiang mai for the song kran 3 years ago...it was alot of fun. Now, there are banners everywhere, inviting you to attend COKES SONG KRAN. wow. A buddhist festival is now sponsored by an evil capitalist corporation. That was the "i need to get out of thailand" moment for me.

Anyways, i got a new camera, with new pics and will be updating them in a few days or sometime soon.

Take care everyone, its 41 degrees, and theres a bucket of water waiting for me with my name on it.

Happy new year!!! Tonite were gonna party like its 2552!!! (really...it is!)

-Ty



Advertisement



15th April 2008

yay ty! we were in luang prabang for new years too. it was so much fun. have you spent any time at those cascading outside bars along the river? i forget the name of them, but we hung out there lots. the mekong is gross hey! we couldn't take two days on the slow boat. we did one day slow boat, one day fast boat. have fun and keep updating us!! i loved all the food at luang prabang. they have awesome resaurants!
15th April 2008

Your Brog eees nice 2 read

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb