Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Luang Prabang involved a lot of sitting on the internet watching the rain out the window - rain falling for the first time in 3 months and continuing basically the whole time we were there. We had originally planned on spending almost a week in Luang Prabang because we had heard really good things about it, however on our first day there we went to book our flight to Siem Reap, Cambodia and ended up having to catch a flight 2 days earlier than we were hoping.

The city itself is really pretty. Its world heritage listed because of all the colonial/French buildings and the temples. As a result its one of the main stops on the tourist trail and because of the architecture it also gets a lot of older European tourists which means that the prices of everything has been jacked up to suit their wallets more than ours - a pretty standard guest house could be $30+ when in other cities it would be ~$10.

Our days in Luang Prabang ended up being spent doing not a whole lot. We had intended on going to the waterfall one day and then spending another on a day long elephant ride/kayak - but because of the torrential rain we had to cancel.

On our final day the sky was a bit clearer so we climbed Phu Si Hill to see the temple on top, but mainly for the view over LP. From the top of the hill you could see nearly 360degrees around the area and across the river, including planes coming through the valley at the same height as us and landing nearby.

The next morning we hopped on a minivan for the 7 hour trip to Vang Vieng.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Phu Si HillPhu Si Hill
Phu Si Hill

Check out the plane in the middle of the pic


Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 104; dbt: 0.2099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb