I survived the Laos Earthquake


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
May 18th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On 16th May at 16.00pm (local time), an Earthquake measuring 6.1 on the richter scale struck Laos approx 100miles North of Luang Prabang.
I was sat by the pool at that time and didn't feel a thing. I was on t'internet a couple of hours later and it flashed up as a headline banner on BBCi. Oh. So thats what an Earthquake feels like. Pretty disappointing really!

After a couple of quick emails home to let everyone know I was ok (no-one else had heard about it either), we returned to enjoying Luang Prabang.

Like everything else in Laos, Luang is incredibly chilled. It is an old capital and has been maintained as a UNESCO heritage site, keeping a lot of the quaint charm. Every morning the monks walk down the street at 5am (although I cant confirm this as I was asleep) and the townfolk give them food. We spent 4 days just relaxing, including a massive splurge for Sam's birthday at one of the nicest hotels in SE Asia. Its nice to be treated like royalty after almost 3 months on the road.

But it all ended far too soon. We baulked at a 3 day
One of the few remaining Indochinese tigers
boat/bus trip up the Mekong and over the Thai border, opting instead to go for a 55 minute flight. The airport at Luang Prabang is the smallest I have ever seen. It operates 3 flights a day, and when everyone is there the plane leaves. We took off 30 minutes before the departure time! Another propeller plane, another dubious landing.

All in all I have to say that Laos is a place well described by everyone. Nothing much happens, but that's why it is so nice. It was a last minute decision to come here, but it has been the best decision of the trip so far.

Next Thailand. Apparantly sometimes all is not quite what it seems.....





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



22nd May 2007

Twenty Dollar Make You Hollah!
If you are now heading off to Thailand, watch out for the Lady boys. One of my mates dad was saying at the weekend how he went to a lady boy show with the wife when he was out there. Reckoned it was well funny, but cannot really see it myself. Seriously though, nice to see you are having a good time and hope to speak to you soon.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb