Luang Prabang and 'roach busting


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
May 5th 2007
Published: May 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Luang Prabang, Laos, on Wednesday after an uncomfortable 2-day- boat trip down the Mekong River. Despite the discomfort and a thieving, dishonest fat American i would definitely recommend this way of travelling. There is beautiful scenery throughout (Laos is mostly hills and is 85% vegetation) and you get to see locals going about their daily business, i.e., fishing. You also get to beat Aidan at chess, which is always a bonus.

I would also highly recommend going to Luang Prabang. Obviously Laos was once a French colony it has an interesting blend of Asian and French culture. You can always get a warm baguette, but there is no lack of curries and and other Lao and Thai specialties. Luang Prabang also has a relaxed atmosphere, some great restaurants and lovely scenery all around.

We have spent the last couple of days just sightseeing. We have been to a couple of temples, including the one across the river in a cave (see photos), and the one on top of the hill in the centre of the city. We even managed to find a fellow traveller from Harrogate! Its a small world.

Our hotel is probably
Random sceneryRandom sceneryRandom scenery

Taken whilst on the slow boat
the best we have stayed in. It is clean, cheap and in a good location. One problem is, however, that our room also has a cockroach problem. Other nights we often come back and there would be maybe one or two on the bathroom floor. Last night, however, there was upwards of ten. Aidan took it upon himself to to rid our room of this infestation. Donned in only his underpants and a t-shirt he kept disappearing into the toilet to tackle our little friends. Here, through the locked door, you would hear various noises as Aidan did his stuff. He would occasionally come out and give a progress report, 'I managed to chase one back down its hole, and flushed two others down the toilet.' The best bit was when i saw Aidan open the toilet door after a while of roach busting (still in his underpants) hear him say to a cockroach at his feet in a dramatic fashion 'Don't you even dare...' then fatally squashing it by slamming the bathroom door shut.

Jim

P.S. Remember to keep looking at Aidan's blog. I gave the address in the last couple of blogs.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

PakbengPakbeng
Pakbeng

The view from our restaurant in Pakbeng, where we satyed in the middle of our boat trip.
Pakbeng2Pakbeng2
Pakbeng2

Pakbeng in the morning
Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

Taken from on top of the hill in the centre of the city
Luang Prabang2Luang Prabang2
Luang Prabang2

Another one
Aidan and a puppyAidan and a puppy
Aidan and a puppy

Randomly found in a posh wine bar


9th May 2007

Greetings Jim Bob Banana!
It looks like you're an extra in the upcoming Indiana Jones film from your latest pictures! It all looks rather incredible and exciting. It's not here, it rained today. Leeds are relegated and the red scum won the title. Bye!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb