"Sabbai dee!"


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
April 25th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Trip Route


House along the Chao Phraya River House along the Chao Phraya River House along the Chao Phraya River

There were mainly houses lining the canals which run off Bangkok's main river, many flying the Thai flag.
So here goes my first blog entry -- this feels a little weird! I'll try not to yammer on and bore you with too many details, but my trip has gotten off to a GREAT start. You'll notice in the photos that I'm embarrassingly pale compared to most of my trip mates, many of whom have been travelling for months!

I'm drafting this by hand on our slow boat, which is gradually making its way down the Mekong River from Chiang Khong (actually, the Laos town just across the river from Chiang Khong) to Luang Prabang where we'll spend the next 3 nights. It is a houseboat belonging to a Laos family, who shared a traditional meal with us yesterday -- sticky rice, chili paste with buffalo skin, and laap. They, and everyone we have met in this country so far, have been incredibly friendly.

It already seems like ages since my arrival in Bangkok last Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday, after a day touring Wat Po, the Royal Palace, and the canals of the Chao Phraya River (meaning: Humble Man) we made our way to the train station for our 14 hour train ride to Chiang Mai. We had
Elephant RideElephant RideElephant Ride

About an hour outside of Chiang Mai -- we also got to sit right on the elephant's neck!
a busy day in store for us there -- elephant riding, bamboo rafting, a temple visit, and last but certainly not least -- Thai boxing! The ring was surrounded by bars, and when we arrived the "lightweights" were fighting -- and I mean lightweights! The kids were about 8 or 9 (40 lbs I think), with the competitors getting progressively older as the night went on. It was funny -- what the smaller kids lacked in strength, they made up for with ferociously serious faces and demeanors. The bamboo rafting was SO fun -- there were pockets of kids swimming and playing along the river, splashing the rafts as much as they could when we passed! We of course returned the splashing. It was just really, really fun and probably my favorite activity of that day.

Sunday night we stayed in Pak Beng, where we walked through town and around the "super local market"as our Laos guide Sing put it. Despite the small size of the town and its limited means (most homes had no electricity; our hotel had a generator which ran for a few hours each night, giving us electricity but no hot water), there was an
Thai BoxingThai BoxingThai Boxing

The ring, semi-outdoors, surrounded by bars... we had ring-side seats
incredible sense of energy! Kids and dogs everywhere, and people partying on the street drinking Lao Beer and dancing to blaring music.

I suppose that's it for now. So far Laos has made quite the impression -- one that is only being solidified by Luang Prabang, the city we are in now. Our tour guide Matt says that either Luang Prabang or Hoi An end up being the favorites on the tour, and it's not hard to see why. With influences of French colonial architecture (the town is a UNESCO World Heritage site), there is a peaceful night market full of textiles, bags, and jewelry -- and our rooms are individual bungalows in a lovely hotel (we get breakfast delivered to our rooms each morning!). Ah, it's a tough life isn't it....

PS. "Sabbai dee" means "Hello" or "How are you" or "I'm fine!"...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

"Ray" the boxer"Ray" the boxer
"Ray" the boxer

He was one of the boxers at the end who boxed blind-folded! There were 3 of them and it was hysterical...
The Cafe CarThe Cafe Car
The Cafe Car

Apparently this car turns into a raving disco on some nights... in our case, despite the rotating lights in the ceiling, it was fairly tame...
Laos sunriseLaos sunrise
Laos sunrise

The view from our guesthouse in Thailand, overlooking the Laos border
Laos mealLaos meal
Laos meal

On Day 1 of our houseboat trip
Boat Trip Day 1Boat Trip Day 1
Boat Trip Day 1

5 or 6 kids came on to the boat during a quick stop, selling sodas, chips, and cookies from huge plastic bins
Kuang Si WaterfallKuang Si Waterfall
Kuang Si Waterfall

About an hour outside of the city, we got to swim in the lagoons in and around the waterfall. It was beautiful and nice and COLD!


25th April 2007

Jealousy!!
Sitting here with my QC box open and CFA books on my desk i am very very jealous - looks amazing and you're only just starting out! Keep the blog entries coming - great to hear how you're doing. Miss you! Gillian xo
25th April 2007

Wow - great pics! Keep em coming. I'm living vicariously through you as I sit in front of multiple computer screens in Old Blighty!
25th April 2007

Fabulous coverage!
Patti, you're a natural at this travel-blog thing! Your writing, photos, and maps are great. Glad you're having so much fun. I'm looking forward to Pattio's next installment!
25th April 2007

Loved the post!
Great pics and details Patti. No need to worry about "yammering on". Looking forward to future posts Love A. Eileen
30th April 2007

Sabbai dee
Patti - It sounds like a really interesting trip (although still too exotic for me :) and I love your pictures! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy and keep blogging.
2nd May 2007

That elephant ride looks fantastic! Looking forward to the next installment. Also, I meant to thank you for the sleep mask. It's going to come in handy, especially now that I'll be going permanent nights!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 58; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb