Songkran festival (new years) is crazy over here.


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
April 15th 2007
Published: April 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have been in Laos for 5 days now. We took a ferry down the Mekong river for 2 days we stopped for the night in Pak Beng and then another 8 hours to Louangphrabang. We met some great people on the over stuffed ferry, and the scenery was great. We have been in Louangphrabang for the Laos new years party called Songkran.
Songkran festival (new years) is crazy, we have had water, and tapioca flour sprayed on us for 3 days straight. Every one is out on the their front step throwing water at anything and anybody going by. They even nail people on scooters with buckets of water. We went over the river to a party on the silt flats of the Mekong, it was muddy, loud, and a blast.. By the way the beer is about a dollar for a 640 ml bottle, and they love thier beer. Even with all the beer, I did not see one fight, it seems they know how to have a good time. Today we went off to the water falls that are 30 km south of town, and the celebration had move to there. Thousands of people having picnics by the water falls. The water falls were amazing, green blue pools that were so refreshing to swim in. Our driver to the water falls picked up his family on the way and they had the cutest little 4 year old named Fanta. They used the opportunity to visit family and friends at the water falls, and then on the way back we stopped in at his home village, and drank a couple beers and danced. All in all this has been a crazy few days... I forgot to mention that on our second night here it was birthday of the guesthouse owner's child. They supplied dinner for all the guests in the house, and it was good food too. Well we must move on from this town.
Cheers John

Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb