Champasak to Don Det


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Si Phan Don
June 11th 2006
Published: July 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We left Vietienne on a relatively comfortable bus for an overnight trip to Pakse. Once in Pakse, we were encountered with a decision of where to go (because Pakse in itself does not offer much). We teamed up with another couple to head to a small town called Champasak. The tourist sight in Champasak is an Angkor-style temple - Wat Phu. The temple was nice but not the best we had seen. Nonetheless, the overnight to Champasak was worthwhile in the ride to and from offered great scenery, transportation in a crowded local bus with alot of rice under our feet (sometimes fun if in the right mind state) and a ride across the Mekong on a primitive ferry carrying buses, cars, motos and individuals.

Following one night in Champasak, we continued on to Don Det for three nights before we crossed into Cambodia. Don Det is one of the four thousand islands in southern Lao (four thousand is a bit of an exaggeration). Our activities included a bike ride to the waterfall, a beach and daily reading on the hammocks at our guesthouse. It was as relaxing as it sounds (and looks, see pictures). The only issue we had was the mosquitos at our guesthouse - they were unrelentness for three days straight; and the key factor for our departure from Don Det and Lao.

We headed to Cambodia through a border crossing which is not officially recognized. Our drive was on a dirt-road through a forest which at first seemed questionable but we obtained our exit stamp (after a $2 kickback to the border official) and our Cambodian visa and entrance after another $2 total kickback - I actually paid $.30 after my negotiation with the Cambodian officials. I'm not kidding.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Path at Wat PhuPath at Wat Phu
Path at Wat Phu

In Champasak
Cats Love MeCats Love Me
Cats Love Me

I am allergic, but somehow a magnet to local cats everywhere
Lunging for the CameraLunging for the Camera
Lunging for the Camera

I was too quick for him
Lao BorderLao Border
Lao Border

That's where you get your stamp after the "special fee"


Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb