The little islands of Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Si Phan Don
March 14th 2006
Published: March 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We spent our last day in Vang Vieng tubing down the river. It definitely gave us a new perspective on Vang Vieng because.... it was worthwhile! As we floated down, there were bars by the riverside and the workers there would hook onto our tubes and reel us in chanting Beer Lao, Beer Lao. At the riverside bars there were also huge rope swings that customers could use to jump into the river! It was a real great time but seeing as there is nothing else for people to do in Vang Vieng except drink happy shakes and watch Friends, we decided to head to Ventiane, the capital of Laos, the next day.

There wasn't a whole lot to do in Ventiane except walk by the river and visit the fake Arc de Triomphe. After one day there we caught a tuk-tuk type thing to the bus station. Obviously the travel agents plan very well because there were 30 of us in a tuk-tuk meant for about 10 people! Finally we reached the double decker bus to Pakse and were able to escape the BO we were subjected to during the tuk-tuk ride. Once again there was a kareoke machine. I am sooooo sick of mushly lovesong music videos!! Upon arriving we caught another minibus to the 4000 islands.

On Don Det We found a very basic but fairly cheap ($3) guesthouse on the sunrise side of the island. It was right over top of the river and had hammocks on the balcony so we could sit over the river and read! It was so relaxing!! We spent one day going to the "big waterfalls" and watching the freshwater dolphins swim around in the Mekong River. The second day we rented bikes and pedaled around the islands. There were dirt roads going everywhere and we rode past village after village where we could see how simply the Laos people really live. There were so many children everywhere and they would often run beside us as we rode by shouting "Saibadee". It was exactly my idea of a "National Geographic" experience!

After sadly leaving the islands, we caught a night train to Bangkok. Everything was all booked up exept for standing room only - 3rd class. We made a deal with the waitress in the dining car that if we all bought 3 drinks she would let us sleep there for the entire ride. The drinks were overpriced but it was money well spent!! We made friends and had great company for the whole ride!

Today we catch another train to South Thailand to start the beach phase of our trip! We are really looking forward to clear seas and scuba diving!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb