And now on to the second largest city in Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Savannakhet
December 13th 2016
Published: December 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Just one day in Savannakhet so decided to make the most of it. Although in fact the early start wasn't really necessary as this may be large in Laos terms but not that big, and not a vast amount to see.

Started with a coffee in a cafe overlooking the Mekong river and then toured the 'sights'. I started with the Dinosaur museum, which only had 2 rooms but quite an amazing collection of finds, or which they are very proud. I then passed a Buddhist temple when they were making Buddhas (casting and painting) in the grounds which was quite surreal Even more so because also there was a school for the novices. From what I can see many boys are sent to a Buddhist community where they are fed and educated, and generally looked after. Don't now what proporation go on to be monks after wards. This town/city is very broad in its religions, as I also visited a Catholic Church (which looked pleasantly devoid of decoration compared to the Buddhist temples we have seen), Evangelical Church (busy putting up Christmas Decoration), Chinese Temple (which appeared to be used as a store for tables and chairs) and a Vietnamese temple (which was locked up).

Chilling out this afternoon listening to a podcast of the Archers - couple of weeks behind now - and then checked and chips this evening as I need a break from rice and noodles.

Then a 13 hour bus journey tomorrow throught he Vietnamese border for our first visit to Hue.

Happy Birthday Max !!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb