Treking through coffee plantations, waterfalls and a Laos demonstration of the Scrubba wash bag


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Pakse
February 21st 2012
Published: March 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
We were picked up early in the morning by our guide for the day, Coh, and his driver, Ding, for a day of treking. The trek started in a local coffee plantation. Most of the coffee is of the Robusta variety and according to Coh has played a vital part in the recuperation for the local people from absolute poverty. Laos was until recently one of the 20 poorest countries.

Wandering through a small village nested in the coffee plantation, we noticed a local farmer washing a pair of denim jeans using just a brush, some washing powder and a couple of large buckets (a similar style to that we saw in Cambodia). Coh informed us that this is still the common way Laos people wash their clothes.

With Coh translating for us, we showed the local farmer how the Scrubba wash bag works and he took to it with gusto. He was more than happy when he found out that he could keep the Scrubba wash bag. Check out the video attached.

We continued on and after what felt like hours of random trekking through coffee plantations we came upon a picturesque waterfall. A giant yellow spider in the middle of a huge web made a great foreground to the backdrop of the waterfall. As we started snapping away, Coh suggested catching the spider and eating it. We were quick to refuse the offer but it led us to wondering exactly what will the Laos people eat? Coh's answer was everything but butterflies. Apparently spiders taste a lot like dragonflies. Dog cooked with a few herbs is apparently the best meat of all meats. Cat is a little lacking. Interesting, but not the greatest conversation for one traveler with a sensitive Western belly.

After splashing about in a surprisingly cold waterfall, a couple of palm leaves were cut off a tree and used as plates for a very tasty lunch of fish, chicken and offal skewers. We were then off trekking again to another waterfall in the middle of a natural amphitheater more than 120 meters deep. Standing on the edge and looking around, it was like staring into a giant well that had no bottom. A steep climb, which took us further off the beaten track, led us to yet another beautiful waterfall. Each of the waterfalls was so perfect that they reminded us of old advertising campaigns for deodorants or body wash products (e.g. Norsca). Perfect for doing a quick wash of clothes using the Scrubba wash bag.

Weary from a day of treking, we then returned to Pakse for more local cuisine and an early night before yet another early wakeup for yet another bus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb