Relax, dont do it, dont even breathe!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Khong Island
June 25th 2009
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Actually we didn't stay in Don Khong, but Don Kon, but its not on this thingy!!

So we decided to travel in luxury for a change and treat ourselves to a 7am lay in so we booked a private bus to 4000 islands and then a boat to take us to Don Kon.

The minibus overheated and broke down on the motorway and we had to sit there for 2 hours melting, whilst the driver took out the engine and fan belt and all the other usually vital parts for driving and still tried to make it work. I was and am confused. I read Anna Karenina.

A replacemet and much more comfotable bus eventually appeared to break them tedius wait.

The longboat ride out to the islands themselves was really enjoyable and the scenery made me feel so relaxed. Just islands and sandbanks and hammocks on the egde of the water, fantastic!!

Frankly Dan and I had reached breaking point and just wanted to rest and relax and not travel anywhere, all those early starts and the endless bus journies were wearing us down and we stopped enjoying ourselves, so enoughs enough. We eventually got a great room with private bathroom right on the river with two hammocks and the most amazing view of the Mekong.

We spent our time, catching up on some much needed rest , cycling the islands, walking around and visiting the waterfalls, chilling at the small beaches drinking Lao Lao (dangerous!) and storm watching!!The rains and subsequent storms were very regular and varied in the their intensity arriving most days at 1-3pm and then again in the evening making the 'high street' no mans land and going out for something to eat like tackling an assault course.

There isn't much else to do, we cycled to Don Det and decided we preferred Don Kon, we stumbled across an outside dance rehearsal whcih seemed to involve most of the islands inhabitants. The vibe is very chilled, but I expect that if electricity arrives things will change(hopefully not!!) The generators seem to work fine for those few hours and the locals are up at the crack of dawn with the cockerals, they are having their evening baths in the Mekong before we have even got dressed for dinner!!! Their timetable is so early the pjyjamas are on by 6pm!!!

Don Det gets more busy and is cheaper, but not quite so nice I think. I hope the Islands reamin unspoilt by us and the locals continue to be so welcoming, they do need to explain the 9,000 kip daily charge for being on the Islands better though, its not nice being chased dwon the road tp pay it!!!

We stayed here for 4 days and it was boring and fabulous!!!!!

After that we headed back to Pakse (uh) horrible place , to book our bus tickets to Bangkok.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



16th August 2009

Would love to ask a few questions...
Came across your travelblog while researching my upcoming (I hope) and first trip to Laos in October (just kind of decided a week ago). Would love to ask a few questions if you have the time and would not mind. Let me know. No reply is also cool. Happy travels! - Leonard

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb