Waterfalls and washing on Don Khon


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Don Det
February 18th 2012
Published: March 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
We'd heard there was a waterfall to the South of the island so a we hired a couple of "girls" bikes (these seem to be the only type on the island) and we were off to explore. Little more than a 20 minute ride and we were looking at a tirade of water roaring down between large crags of rock. Following the waterfall downstream, we found a secluded little waterhole overlooking one of waterfalls. Having not worked the bus grime off yesterday's clothes, it seemed like as good a place as any to use the Scrubba wash bag. There was even a bamboo fishing rod propped up to dry the clothes. Laundry on an island paradise hundreds of kilometres from the sea!

While the clothes dried, we jumped back on the bikes and headed to the southern tip of the island where dolphin watching is possible. On arriving we discovered that you needed to hire a boat to actually see any dolphins. As the afternoon was progressing and we had both seen numerous Aussie dolphins before we headed back to our bikes, helping a local move a bunch of planks further up the beach. Trying to match this small guy with plank loads quickly tired us out, clearly saying something about the influence of western culture on our fitness levels.

On the ride back, we swung past the secluded area we hung our clothes and found that the sun had done its work. Clean dry clothes for the evening.

We ate a restaurant on the island with a Belgium couple and a Dutch girl who, as it would turn out on this small island, we would bump into every couple of hours over the following days.

After dinner, we discovered that everything on the island shuts by 10 forcing us to have an early sleep despite being a Saturday night. Probably for the best.
Rate this blog entry


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb