Si Phan Don (4000 Islands)


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Don Det
May 1st 2009
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Just as we thought Laos couldn’t get anymore laid back we arrived in Si Phan Don, it took us 2 attempts to make it here as the first time we went to Don Khong, the larger island to visit the only bank in order to exchange some money for US dollars so we could get our Cambodia visa.

The trip from Pakse on the local bus or Songthaew (2 benches) was something of an experience with 31 other passengers, including 2 people on the roof, 25 crates of beerlao and 20 plus backpacks. We stopped on route so the locals could buy treats such as beetles and cockroaches on sticks! This was on Thursday 16th, however the bank was closed until Monday because of the New Year festival, which seems to be celebrated for about a week in total. Unfortunately that meant we had to take the 2 hour trip back to Pakse, again, to get the dollars we needed and more cash.

We spent 4 days on Don Det and Don Khon (next door island) it’s very relaxing there’s not a great deal to do other than lay in a hammock, swim in the Mekong and watch the world go by. We visited a couple of waterfalls including Khone Phapeng falls, known as the Pearl of the Mekong, which are the largest in South East Asia where literally hundreds of tons of water flow down over rocks every second into Cambodia, impressive.

We met a few people to hang around with while we were here and drink beerlao, obviously. Including Matt from Surrey who was at the end on his trip and Frode from Denmark who was on holiday from his year traveling around India on an Enfield motorbike. We went tubing again down the Mekong, but as it’s was at a South Lao pace this meant lying in a tube sunbathing and slowly drifting back home.

Was great to chill out for a few days but now it was time to head to Cambodia.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



1st May 2009

WOW !!!!!
GREAT TO TALK TO YOU TODAY - PICTURES SUPERB - HOPE YOU LOVE YOUR MONTH IN VIETNAM - TAKE CARE DIVING - JUST ENJOY - LOTS OF LOVE........MUM AND DAD..............

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb