Southern Laos (4000 Islands - Champasak - Vientiane)


Advertisement
Asia » Laos » South » Champasak
February 24th 2009
Published: February 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our journey to Laos started off in typical Cambodian fashion - we were squashed into a van with about half the population of Ban Lung and a lifetime’s supply of grain. So after driving around the town for an hour for some unknown reason we proceeded back along the bumpy, dusty road to Stung Treng with Khmer karaoke blasting in our ears. On arrival in Stung Treng we found ourselves dumped in fron... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




25th February 2009

The King of Bus is a concept that may very well work in Kings Cross, haha. Nevertheless, I was shocked to see you sporting a tan. Sounds as though South-East Asia hasn't quite met your expectations yet. I'm hoping it improves in the coming weeks, although remember that your increasing homesickness may be dulling your take on proceedings (try to counter that by thinking about how hard I am working and the lack of a life I now lead due to being employed full-time).
28th February 2009

Haha, you just wait till I spend the last 2 weeks of this trip at the beaches of the Thai Islands, then you will see the full force of my tan!! Don't know why you seem to think I am not enjoying myself or that I am homesick! On the contrast I am having an excellent time and whilst I miss the comforts of home and family and friends I am in no way ready to come home. Both Merric and I agree that Angkor has been the best thing that we have seen on this holiday. If you are referring to our experiances in Vientaine and Pakse, we knew before coming they were places which we would find dull - both were visited simply as a means to get elsewhere. Either way, I will admit that SE Asia has not captured me in the same way as India did... but I think that's mainly due to the fact that India is so challenging to travel in (and thus more rewarding) and not as touristy. Where as SE Asia is so easy to travel in and EXTREMELY touristy... even when you try and get off the tourist trail.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb