Laos - or SLOA


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Champasak
January 30th 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have arrived in Laos and every thing is so much quieter and slower (sloa) than anywhere else we have been. We arrived in Pakse and where we were 2 of 4 passangers getting off the plane there. Getting a visa was a question of 10 minutes and 35 USD.
Pakse felt like a small american town in the midwest is supposed to feel like. Hardly any traffic very wide streets, large four-wheel drive vehicles (some one is doing well from the dollars we leave here?). First we headed for the ferry station, everyone we met said that there were no boats south but within 2 minutes of arriving at the river there was someone offering us a boat-trip to the next town for 12 dollars (haggled down from 30). So we sat for 1.5 hours and took in beautiful scenery along the Mekong which is a mighty river here. Probably 2 - 300 metres wide at most places. very peaceful.

We got to Champassak (which was once the capital of a lao kingdom, now a one street road) and and were dumped straight in a guesthouse that belonged miraculously the boat captain' s cousin.
Due to massive head colds
BBQ of chickens feetBBQ of chickens feetBBQ of chickens feet

Really must sort out my athlete's foot!
we spend the rest of the afternoon in a hammock and most of the next morning too. (Probably one of the nicest places on earth to have a head cold but we still felt quite grotty).
In Champassak there was just an anual festival which took place near the only real sight in the area: Wat Phou, temples from the Angkor era. They were beautiful but we had seen a lot of that in Angkor. It was great to see how the Lao have a fair: There were lots of little food stands (with a favorite being chickens feet kebabs!!!) and clothes stalls, little game stalls and music. Overall it was all very peaceful and quiet - the lao way.
Next day we went back via Sangthou (pick up truck with 2 rows of seats in the back) to Pakse. We stayed a day and ate loads of western food in a great little cafe. (Claudi was quite fed up with Asia at this stage and still not feeling great and so all travellers pride about only local food was set aside)
Next we go to laos' capital - lets see if that gets any busier (and faster).


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Sun set over MekongSun set over Mekong
Sun set over Mekong

We develop a tradition for Beer lao at sun set. Beer brewed after german recipe using german hops!!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb