Laos 18th to 20th August


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » North
August 21st 2008
Published: August 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

The kitchen where our dinner was cookedThe kitchen where our dinner was cookedThe kitchen where our dinner was cooked

The was the kitchen of the elderly couple, where our dinner was cooked with the help of a grandchild. Amazing food!
On the 18th I felt like the Queen until I got to our guesthouse.... We left Vieng Xai to drive to Vieng Thong. We did not really want to stay in Vieng Thong, but it was too far to drive to Nong Khiaw in one day. When driving through the small villages the children were shouting Sa-bai-di (hello) and waved at us, so with one hand steering the bike and the other one waving back like the Queen. It is obviously not often that they see tourist on motorcycles in the far Northern part and it put a smile on the children’s faces when we waved back. The guesthouse is the worst I have stayed in so far. There was no shower apart from a bucket of dirty water; the toilet was a hole in the floor (which is ok) and the room smelled damped. But for USD 2.50 you cannot really expect a lot.

On the 19th we drove to Nong Khiaw. We rented a bungalow overlooking the river. On the way to there we meet 2 travelers that told us about an elderly couple that cooked amazing food in there house. We went there in the evening and
WaterfallWaterfallWaterfall

Waterfall on the way to Vieng Thong
it was obvious that they don’t get many tourists, as it is not mentioned in The Lonely Planet plus is a bit away from the main roads. The food was cooked over open fire and cost about a dollar per dish. They made the best homemade potato chips I have ever tasted and all their food was just so good, that I miss it already.

On the 20th we drove out to see a local cave where locals lived during the Vietnam War to avoid the bombing. In the evening we had dinner in the elderly couple’s house….. amazing food again. After dinner we went to the cinema, which was somebody’s house, where you could pick a DVD and you then get your own room with comfortable cushions. We watched an old movie called Paris Texas, which was really good.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

It is so green hereIt is so green here
It is so green here

Everywhere we drive in North Laos it is amazingly green


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb