I love Laos!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » North
July 18th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Chaing Mai i got a bus to Chiang Khong where i crossed the border into Laos. i got a two day slow boat to Louang Phabang along the Mekong River. they seem to cram all the tourists onto the boat which was extreamly crowded, but although very uncomfortable the scenery was spectaculor.

Louang Phabang is a georgeous town - a UNESCO world heritige site. i experianced a relaxing traditional Lous masage (i expected to get a stuning Lous girl, but instead i got rubbed down by a large man who got the sniffles from the tiger balm he put on me). i hoped to go climbing here but the wall was too wet so i went white water rafting instead, which was really fun. our boat felt like it was going to capsise as we paddled through grade 3 rapids. we evenm swam through a smaller rapid (which was very exciting).

i met a friendly local boy, Loun, who offered me shelter when it was raining. he was the same age as me and ferried me acros the river in his boat and showed me the temples and cave. on the way i saw a giant scorpion which Loun put in a bottle of homemade wisky for me (as is the tradition here). i later went to school with him in his village, and helped teach the class of 16-19 year olds English. i later went to his home to have dinner with his family. i feel great admiration for Loun and his family, although they are very poor and have very little, they are happy to share it all with me.

the next morning i woke up at 0500 and went with Loun to feed the monks. as the Buhddist monks arent allowed to own anything they rely on the people for food, so every morning they preces the streets with a large bowl, and people put food in it. the whole town was lined wiuth thousands of people as hundreds of of monks walked past in long lines. i am in awe how the locals, who are so poor, get up every morning to give what little they can afford to others.

After Louang Phabang i took a bus through the mountains to Vang Vieng. it has rained hevily here, and many houses are flooded. i met a really friendly couple who are good rock climbers. we tried to treck to a mountainside so we can climb, but after hours of walking ankle deep in mud and waist deep through flooded roads we were unable to get there. we also tried to visit a cave on some bikes, but the bridge seems to have been destroyed by the fast flowing river. everyone here it seems is lying down at the cosy resturants, watching entire series' of Friends or family guy whilst drinking the cheap beer (under 50p for a pint)

we will try and get to the mountainside tomorrow by waiding the flooded roads using ropes.

p.s. sorry i couldnt attach any photos i seem to crash every computer here by uploading them. i will put them on my next blog


Advertisement



22nd July 2008

glad to see you are still enjoying your travels and staying safe! xxx

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0968s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb