Sam Neua (29-31 Oct 12)


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » East » Sam Neua
November 1st 2012
Published: November 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a relatively *extended* stay in Phonsavan, I continued heading northeastwards into the Laotian highlands, and it was another 8h winding journey to Sam Neua, the capital of the Hua Phanh province. The province is said to be the "birthplace" of Laos PDR, as it was here that the Pathet Lao retreated to hide in its caves in the face of relentless US bombing. The area developed and somewhat flourished following the end of the Secret War.

My journey deep into this otherwise rather remote part of the country thus serves two purposes: to visit the Xieng Vai caves of the province, where the Pathet Lao troops hid during the bombing; and thereafter to cross over into Vietnam via the nearby Nam Xoi-Na Meo border crossing, to embark on the next leg of my Southeast Asian adventure.

And so with my arrival at Sam Neua, my Laotian experience almost draws to a close. In the same vein as pretty much all other Laotian towns, Sam Neua is unremarkably quiet, and peaceful, with the added bonus of being cloaked by the beautiful surrounding Laotian mountains, and extremely agreeable temperate weather. From here it will be a quick overnight stop in Vieng Xai to visit the caves, before the long sojourn into Vietnam...

Stayed at Shuliyo Guesthouse.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Phonsavan to Sam NeuaPhonsavan to Sam Neua
Phonsavan to Sam Neua

Some kind of procession spotted on the way, complete with vehicle filled with money.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb