Kazakhstan it's great to be here


Advertisement
Kazakhstan's flag
Asia » Kazakhstan » Western Kazakhstan
August 13th 2015
Published: August 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

All on my own

This blog is pieced together with entries from different times, sorry if it's hard to follow, I'm sure I'll explain it better in person.

Finally! We've come up with a way to get out of Azerbaijan after much frustration and running around. We were too far down the waiting list to get the next available ferry out of Baku. This then meant that the car had outstayed it's welcome in a Azerbaijan so a fine was in order. We rushed all around Baku with Jahid to try to pay this fine and eventually, $20 poorer, our car was legal again and could be exported. The next day we had a bit of a "don't take no for an answer" attitude as we were getting desperate. We got down to the port early and waited patiently until we had a solution. 8 painful hours later the only available solution that we could feasibly do was for me to drive the car onto the ferry and to meet the others in Kazakhstan after they flew over. There seems to be a technicality that won't allow more people on the ferry. Very strange as I type this lying in a room with 4 spare beds in. So here I go on a 30 hour ferry/cargo ship with only an elderly Estonian man and an Azeri crew for company. After a quick walk around the boat it seems to be alright, beds are ok, toilets clean (at the moment) and everyone is smiling. View is really good and I anticipate that to only get better!

A few hours after boarding ...

Good news, a couple of Mongol rally teams (well, just the drivers) managed to sneak onto the ferry just on time. We've been sharing stories of the trip so far, and it seems ours has been relatively trouble free. Good to be able to share the journey with some like minded people though!

The six of us, 4 mongol ralliers (another team managed to get on), 1 Estonian and myself have spent the day sharing stories and planning the route ahead. We were up late last night watching shooting stars and admiring the clear night sky. We were also up early this morning to witness a stunning sunrise. After sharing a spot of whiskey last night I seemed to have gained special privileges. I've been all around the ship now, sharing tea with the captain on the bridge and poking around the engine room too. It's really hot but there is a good atmosphere on here and I'm just happy that we're making progress again. I just hope the others are getting ok, and it won't be too hard to locate them on the other side. Just had lunch, Plov, filling ... But that's about it. Now everyone is dotted all over the ship hiding in the few available shady spots.

Still on the ferry, it's been 24 hours now, not sure how long left. We've got a pretty good idea of how the ship works now. As long as you avoid the first mate you're ok. Everyone else is friendly, I guess he's the "archdeacon" of the boat and has to tell us off for using the washing machines and going where we shouldn't etc. After another night sky light show it's time for bed, hopefully docking tomorrow!

38 hours after leaving we're finally docked. Hopefully customs won't take too long as I've got a text from Jason to say the others are staying just up the road. Though it may have been hot at times and a game of patience at others, I really enjoyed the crossing. Good company, great views and a good look around the boat.

14:00 Finally we're reunited! Back as a team and keen to press on to Uzbekistan. The Kazakhstan border was the most painful experience so far with about a million processes to go through, but finally it's over!

Probably camping in Kazakhstan tonight so it might be a while before a proper update again ...

Love to all!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb