Kamakura and its Big Buddha


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
April 15th 2006
Published: April 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Saturday Amy and I decided to go on a day trip to Kamakura. We caught the Shinkansen from Shizuoka, then a couple of local trains which altogether took about 2 hours.
There was a festival on at the main shrine in the city which is surrounded by beautiful gardens. We were lucky to also see two couples getting married!
We then checked out the Great Buddha of Kamakura. For 25 cents we also went inside it! It was constructed in 1252 and was originally located inside a large temple hall but at the end of the 15th century the temple buildings were washed away by a tsunami tidal wave!
I loved the main shopping street of Kamakura, lots of funny things to see (namely tail man) and every food shop had free samples!!! The honey juice was a winner!



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The main shrineThe main shrine
The main shrine

Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu Shrine
So lucky to see this traditional wedding!So lucky to see this traditional wedding!
So lucky to see this traditional wedding!

Putting their thongs back on after the ceremony
Praying at the shrinePraying at the shrine
Praying at the shrine

You throw money, bow twice, clap twice(to alert the Gods of your presence), pray or wish and bow again...or something like that anyway! Amy and I people watched for a while before we did anything. Then a Japanese man tried to demonstrate what to do cause we must have looked a bit lost!
Politely spitting out the cleansing water! Politely spitting out the cleansing water!
Politely spitting out the cleansing water!

Oxymoron I think!! Tsukubai - "crouching basin". Used to cleanse your mouth and hands before entering a shrine.
The gardens were so prettyThe gardens were so pretty
The gardens were so pretty

and we were lucky to see a few cherry blossoms still around
Fortune telling papers and wooden wish platesFortune telling papers and wooden wish plates
Fortune telling papers and wooden wish plates

Omikuji are fortune telling paper slips that contain predictions ranging from daikichi ("great good luck") to daikyo ("great bad luck"). By tying the piece of paper to these bars, good fortune will come true or bad fortune can be averted. Last time I had bad fortune, so didn't bother buying a fortune this time!
Look closely...he actually has a tail!!!Look closely...he actually has a tail!!!
Look closely...he actually has a tail!!!

He has turned into one of the wierd cats he sells! He even has a strange wooden cat instrument to hold his cigarette!
I picked a winner!I picked a winner!
I picked a winner!

Lucky nobody nose us here!
and the foreigners mistakenly order probably the only thing that comes out already cooked!!!and the foreigners mistakenly order probably the only thing that comes out already cooked!!!
and the foreigners mistakenly order probably the only thing that comes out already cooked!!!

We were so disappointed we were nearly going to order something else aswell but we were full after this feast!


21st August 2006

Interesting photos!
what great photos! You must have had an interesting time here. Apparently there are 1001 golden buddhas to see in kyoto that are good too, not to mention many tori gates too
27th August 2006

Kamakura
Those nose picking photos are very clever

Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 21; qc: 119; dbt: 0.1226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb