Omedetou! from Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Yamanashi
January 1st 2008
Published: January 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

New Years celebrationNew Years celebrationNew Years celebration

Here were are: New Years day at midnight. Kushigata's main shrine held a midnight celebration with costumed dancing and praying. We went with one of my students, Masako, whose husband plays the Japanese flute each year at the celebration.
Happy New Year from Japan! Last night we had to forgo our usual tradition of Chinese food and watching the ball drop at Times square for Japanese food and watching Japanese boy bands sing in the New year fromTokyo.
Five minutes into 2008 our friend, and my student, Masako, picked us up to go to a traditional new year celebration at the local shrine. Just down the road from our house, the shrine we've ridden by many times on our bikes had been transformed into a subdued celebration of around 100 people.
Lanterns and fires dimly lit up the area, as did a lighted dancing platform for ornately costumed dancers. Attendees stood in line and took their turns ringing the bell at the shrine and praying for a prosperous, happy 2008. Papers they received with the Shrines name on them will be saved and burned on January 15, 2009--a cleansing act to get rid of the previous year. Arrow souvenirs could also be purchased, which they believe will catch happiness for them in 2008.
While most in our area were in their beds as the clock struck twelve, or, zero, here, most will venture to a shrine during the first couple
New Years dancerNew Years dancerNew Years dancer

Here he is, the scary dancer. Also making appearances were dancers dressed with fox faces. Masako's husband is on the left.
of days to pray for the new year.
In Japan, quite a few things accompany the new year, both before and after Jan. 1; mochi making is one of them. Mochi is a snack made from cooked, mashed rice that is formed into a dough, rolled out, and cut into pieces about a half-inch thick. It's eaten with everything from melted cheese to a radish and soy sauce mixture.
Jessie tried it with cheese and, sadly, we both tried it with radish and soy sauce.
A couple named the Oginos invited us as well as members of their family and other friends to make mochi by hand. Mr. Ogino said in past years, many of his neighbors would make mochi as well, but that he's the last one to continue the tradition. We did our best to help him carry on that tradition, wielding the large mallet necessary to pound the cooked rice into a dough and rotating the 25 pounds of dough so it wouldn't stick to the pot.
At the end of the five-hour process, all who helped out left with a few pieces.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Scooping sakeScooping sake
Scooping sake

A special sweet sake drink dished out to keep revelers warm as they waited in line to pray.
Harvest danceHarvest dance
Harvest dance

The dance was very long and from what we could understand had something to do with planting and harvesting rice.
Mr. Ogino pouring the riceMr. Ogino pouring the rice
Mr. Ogino pouring the rice

The special sticky rice is cooked down and then poured into the bowl where it's pounded into a paste.
Greg making mochiGreg making mochi
Greg making mochi

Lots of fun, as long as the person rotating the paste moves their hands in time.
Jess making mochiJess making mochi
Jess making mochi

It is a lot heavier than it looks!
Rolling mochiRolling mochi
Rolling mochi

Four generations of mochi makers...
BraidingBraiding
Braiding

Mr. Ogino helps Jess braid her rice grass, which eventually becomes a New Years wreath with additional decorations.
VictoryVictory
Victory

There it is--not yet completed, but on its way.


1st January 2008

Happy New Year
As always, it is great to read your blog. You bring back many memories. Both of you look and sound like you're having a great time. Enjoy...
15th January 2008

Happy New Year
It is really wonderful to read about your adventures. What you are making here in these pictures looks interesting, would love to try some of it, it looks like it took alot of muscle to prepare. Happy New Year to you, Gary and Cathie

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb