Oh, The People We Meet


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Yamanashi
September 10th 2007
Published: September 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mt. Fuji area

Minami-Alps City, the yellow pin, is just an hour's drive from the Fuji Five Lakes area. You can see the lakes just north of the volcano. The area is a popular and convenient get-away spot for those from the Tokyo area, just one prefecture to the east.

Jessie and Sakano by the shrineJessie and Sakano by the shrineJessie and Sakano by the shrine

Sakano teaches English at area elementary schools, so he is a fun guy to talk with. He grew up in the area and seemingly knows just about everything and everyone in the prefecture.
It’s been a month since we arrived at our new home here in Japan, and nothing has made that month easier or more enjoyable than the people we’ve met along the way.
Jessie and I are fortunate that Minami-Alps City is home to more than a handful of progressively minded, generous people who have been gracious enough to speak English with us, excuse our clumsy faux pas, drive us to local sites, immerse us in what it means to be Japanese and, most importantly for me, feed us.
This week we went to the top of Mt. Kushigata and to the Fuji Five Lakes area where we watched a professional soccer game, with Sakano. I also went to the golf driving range with our friend Yoda, which was very similar to a driving range in the U.S., but surrounded by a giant net.
Our newfound friends have opened up their homes, wallets (and most importantly) their day planners for us, in an effort to make our year here more meaningful and enjoyable. And it has worked.
We’ve decided not to stay for two years, feeling that another year would simply prolong the inevitable reality of returning to life in the States.
Jessie washes out her mouthJessie washes out her mouthJessie washes out her mouth

When entering the shrine, visitors symbolically wash their mouths and hands from a ceremonial basin. The water at this shrine comes directly from Mt. Fuji.
We feel we’ll be ready to leave knowing that we’ve done more than collect souvenirs and anecdotes, but had the experience of a lifetime and met wonderful people.
But for now, we’re slowly adjusting to the stares wherever we go and the different styles of communication.
The simplest way to describe the major difference in communication styles is to say that far more goes left unsaid here. You get the feeling, as a foreigner, that you’re missing out on most of what’s going on - not because you don’t know the language, but because you’re missing the subtleties.
The people we’ve met are accustomed to Americans, so they understand the vast differences between the two cultures, and can empathize with where that leaves us. But, that doesn’t mean we’re not trying new things!
Sakano took us to the Fuji Five Lakes region in southern Yamanashi Prefecture on Sunday. We were supposed to have climbed Mt. Fuji on Saturday and Sunday, but because of the typhoon that went through Japan late in the week, climbing conditions were too iffy for us to attempt it.
But the Fuji Five Lakes area was beautiful. They are as they sound: five lakes near Mt.
Jessie's descentJessie's descentJessie's descent

Jessie fearlessly led our trio into the Ice Cave. The caves near Mt. Fuji were formed as eruptions occurred over the centuries.
Fuji. Between driving from one lake to the next, Sakano treated us to a cave tour - it was Jessie’s first time in a cave - and a stop at a magnificent Shinto Shrine in Fujiyoshida. People, mostly tourists, stop at the shrines to toss money into a “wishing well” of sorts. Before making a wish, you bow twice, clap your hands twice (silently, which I messed up) and then bow again.
The shrines are beautifully maintained through donations from community members and the one in Fujiyoshida is home to the Fire Festival held each August.
You can find a shrine in just about any community in the country. They serve as both parks and spiritual places for the people of Japan.
Following our visit to the shrine, it was on to our first professional soccer game, also held in Fujiyoshida, where we cheered on our home team, Ventforet Kofu. Kofu, located about 45 minutes from Minami-Alps City, is Yamanashi’s capital and is fortunate to have one of just 18 teams in division one of the nation’s J-League pro soccer league. Although our guys lost 4-0, it was still fun, and I enjoyed taking pictures and watching the game.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Clouds part for FujiClouds part for Fuji
Clouds part for Fuji

As afternoon gave way to evening and we drove back to Minami-Alps, the day's haze lifted momentarily to give us a nice view of Mt. Fuji.
$9 corn$9 corn
$9 corn

1,000 yen for corn sounds expensive where we're from, but Sakano said Fuji area corn is some of the best in Japan. He even gave us a couple ears so we knew he wasn't kidding.
Go Blue!Go Blue!
Go Blue!

Ventforet Kofu had its chances, but in the end they lost. Nearly 2,000 people were in attendance, a small crowd, as the teams were playing at a neutral site.
From Mt. KushigataFrom Mt. Kushigata
From Mt. Kushigata

Sakano took me for a hike up in the Mt. Kushigata area. It's home to Japan's second highest peak, and right in our own back yard.
Mt. Kushigata lakeMt. Kushigata lake
Mt. Kushigata lake

This lake was home to ducks, swans and some incredible carp. The area is a popular hiking and camping spot.
Sakano and carp...Sakano and carp...
Sakano and carp...

Area restaurants would like to get their hands on these guys, but Sakano said there is no fishing allowed at this lake.
Lone carpLone carp
Lone carp

Mmmm...tasty


10th September 2007

Soccer
No fair, you guys got to go to a professional soccer game. First you go to Japan, then you see soccer, what is next. I am so jealous!
11th September 2007

Hey!
Hello guys! We really enjoyed reading your travel blog. What wonderful experiences ... you had us smiling from ear to ear as we read about your adventures. Great pictures too. Thanks for sharing your days with us! :) Hope you're finding enough to eat over there!!!
17th September 2007

Nice blog
Hello guys, I am a teacher in Marshalltown, and I am possibly interested in doing the exchange program next year. Dee Coulter sent me your blog link and it is very informative about your time over there. I hope you continue to enjoy it!! Beautiful pictures!!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb