Home Away From Home


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Yamanashi
August 19th 2007
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Living RoomLiving RoomLiving Room

We spend most of our time in here because there is air conditioning and T.V. The computer and work space is also in here, as well as a couch that sits in front of a big closet.
After hours of cleaning we have finally gotten the house at least close to how we want it. We have had to throw out a lot of things that have accumulated over the years-we are hoping that is O.K., but the house is old and small and there just isn't room to keep it all. Plus with so many people using the same space, not every one is going to have the same tastes, so we are trying to make it feel like home to us.

While Greg has been busy getting the house in order, I have been visiting my school and trying to get an idea of what my job will be like. It is always hard to take over for someone after they have left, so right now I am sifting through the materials the last ALT has left behind. I have met the principal and head English teacher and both are nice and should be helpful if I have questions. The Board of Education will hold a welcome party for us on the 30th of August, where we will meet members of the Board, other teachers, as well as ALTs from other schools.

We have
BedroomBedroomBedroom

This is probably the nicest room in the house. We sleep out here when we don't need the A/C. We roll our futons out at night and put them in the closet at night. We air them out every couple days and whack them with a futon whacker to keep them in good shape and prevent dust mites.
signed-up for Japanese lessons at the International Exchange Association and are looking forward to extending our Japanese vocabulary. Yesterday we ate at a restaurant (by ourselves) that we new had pictures on the menu so we could just point. It will be nice to actually speak to a waiter instead!

It is a good day in Japan today, the Packers and the Brewers one-you can't get much better than that!

-Jessie


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The Mold RoomThe Mold Room
The Mold Room

This is a large closet area off the bedroom. All our clothes, etc. are in here, but unfortunately mold accumulates here readily so its uses are limited.
The KitchenThe Kitchen
The Kitchen

Smaller than most American kitchens, but the largest we've ever had, it's a struggle to keep this one clean because recycling and refuse restrictions are so strict here. You wash out everything and there are many different garbage and recycling categories to figure out. Everything about the Japanese home reminds you of how much you consume (and waste) each day.
Bathroom SinkBathroom Sink
Bathroom Sink

Much like many hotels, our bathroom sink is set apart from the shower and toilet spaces. Actually, the shower, sink and toilet each have their own areas. It does the job, but does not have hot water, which you really don't miss in this heat. We'll see when we wake up and can see our breath.
The ToiletThe Toilet
The Toilet

Nothing too special, except you're supposed to use the clean water coming in to fill the tank after a flush to wash your hands. Again, most things are very efficient.
The ShowerThe Shower
The Shower

A nice shower and a tub are in the shower room. You're supposed to clean yourself using the shower, then everyone in the house uses the same bath water. We haven't been adventurous enough to try that one out yet.
The Laundry RoomThe Laundry Room
The Laundry Room

It's the laundry room. Most Japanese houses only have Washers like us , so we have to dry our clothes outside.


20th August 2007

where is the mold?
everything looks really cute! you did an amzaing job cleaning the place up! i would like a pic of the mold when it grows back. just so i know what i am missing... ha...

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb