Fall has arrived!


Advertisement
Asia » Japan » Wakayama » Koyasan
November 27th 2007
Published: December 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Koyasan Japanese Vocab aki: fall/autumn kouyou: the autumn leaves/the fall foliage momiji: japanese maple leaves rousokku: candle keitai: cell phone kirei: pretty November 10: Zach and I headed up to Koyasan (Mt. Koya) to see the changing leaves. Japanese people are very adamant that there are 4 distinct seasons in Japan (haha, as if they are the only place with seasons or something...). The fal... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

for auntie miafor auntie mia
for auntie mia

Cause she loves birds...
Hiroshima-JoHiroshima-Jo
Hiroshima-Jo

Hiroshima castle from afar
Hiroshima-JoHiroshima-Jo
Hiroshima-Jo

and up close!
the Genbaku Domethe Genbaku Dome
the Genbaku Dome

The atomic bomb dome...it was nearly directly below where the bomb was detonated. Since the destructive waves of the bomb came from above rather than from the side, the walls were not knocked down and the basic structure of the building remained intact.
A-bomb domeA-bomb dome
A-bomb dome

another view
peace monumentpeace monument
peace monument

the peace monument decorated with cranes and flowers that people brought from all over Japan.
SadakoSadako
Sadako

Sadako was exposed to radiation as a young child. She grew normally until her teens when she developed leukemia from the radiation. Once an athletic and healthy girl, her health began to quickly fail as she went from doctor to doctor, going through medical treatments. Determined to fight the cancer, she began folding paper cranes, believing that when you fold one thousand, your wish comes true. Inspired, her classmates helped her fold cranes and eventually strung together 1000. Unfortunately Sadako lost the battle with her leukemia. This statue was erected in her memory and for all the children who have suffered as a result of the Atomic bombing.
The peace monumentThe peace monument
The peace monument

a monument that when you look through it you see the eternal flame, lit for fallen soldiers in the war, and in the backround genbaku dome.
Lunch!Lunch!
Lunch!

In hiroshima, they have a special type of Okonomiyaki...it includes batter, bacon, shrimp, egg, squid or something like that, and onions or somthing. I forget. It was alright...
the ferry to Miyajimathe ferry to Miyajima
the ferry to Miyajima

Miyajima is a small island located off of Hiroshima- it's only about a 10 minute ride by ferry.
the floating Torithe floating Tori
the floating Tori

Miyajima is famous for the red gate (tori) that, when the tide comes in, appears to be floating in the water.
beware of the deer!!!beware of the deer!!!
beware of the deer!!!

The shika/deer roam the island trying to rob you of your lunch...beware!!!
the not so floating torithe not so floating tori
the not so floating tori

Sooooooo...the only thing with the floating gate is that when the tide goes out, so does it's floating appearance. You can actually walk right up to the gate- that's how shallow it is.
kakikaki
kaki

Another specialty of Miyajima is Oysters, or Kaki. We tried them...quite salty. Oh yeah, and they don't serve them raw but grill them over an open flame.
awwwawww
awww

look- the koyo leaves make a heart!!!! Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
more leavesmore leaves
more leaves

last one, I promise!



12th December 2007

Beautiful Pictures...
Nice Travelblog - hope you get nice and addicted to uploading your photos because they were great to look at. Maybe we can work some snow shots into the scene soon enough! ;o)

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb