Get Thee To A Monastery


Advertisement
Asia » Japan » Wakayama » Koyasan
March 24th 2018
Published: March 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Before embarking on this trip, I suspected (correctly, as it turned out), that Kyoto would be overrun with tourists. I knew I wanted to experience a culturally significant site without too many tourists, and I also wanted to experience shokubo (temple lodging). Scanning through the blogs on this site, I found that pretty much everyone who had blogged about Mt. Koya (commonly called Koyasan) had a ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

KoyasanKoyasan
Koyasan

When one encounters Totoro, one must offer to shelter him with an umbrella.
KoyasanKoyasan
Koyasan

Stupa in the middle of the town.
OkunoinOkunoin
Okunoin

Lots of these little statues around.
OkunoinOkunoin
Okunoin

This was Nissan’s monument. I’m not sure if they bury their employees here or if this is just a tribute to them. I hope it is the latter. The former just takes company loyalty a little too far.
OkunoinOkunoin
Okunoin

One of the more interesting graves.



30th March 2018

I'm going there in August
I'm going to Koyasan in Augst before I go on my Kumano Kodo Pilgrimmage. :)
30th March 2018

It’s an amazing experience!
I loved it so much there. It seemed to attract a different demographic, and it was refreshing to not have to deal with crowds.
30th March 2018

Koyasan and Jokiin
When I think of a trip to Japan, I picture experiences very much like this one! I had assumed that monasteries that offer lodging had historically done so, but you've made me rethink that assumption. We had a vegan lunch at a nunnery in Vietnam almost 10 years ago and we still talk about that meal... but the cold tempura makes me agree with you that the food was most likely brought in. Love this post :)
30th March 2018

It was a neat experience!
I’ll need to find out the name and location of that nunnery next time I go to Vietnam!
11th April 2018

Temple Stay
What a unique travel experience, great to read about. I think my own trip will not allow me such a retreat this time, but I'm already thinking that Japan may be one of those countries which will warrant a second trip for me. I love the picture with your neighbour, Totoro :)
11th April 2018

My Neighbor Totoro
Pity you might not be able to fit Koyasan into your upcoming itinerary. Japan is definitely worth multiple visits. If you're going to Tokyo, and you like My Neighbor Totoro, consider visiting the Ghibli Museum. You'll have to purchase your tickets in advance; they only sell limited tickets at the door.
12th April 2018

Ghibli Museum
Thank you for this recommendation Siewch - I am indeed a fan and have been considering a visit to the Museum during my time in Tokyo. Thank you for the heads up on the advance ticket purchase, I will see how my travel planning works out and whether time will allow.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb