Tokyo and Kyoto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shinjuku
July 30th 2010
Published: November 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Tokyo and Kyoto

Took the buses

So we took the cheapest bus from Tokyo to Kyoto, which was not cheap, and it was like 60 for a normal bus. Whatever. It's cheaper than the trains. It was super hot and humid when we were there, so that cut down our enthusiasm a bit.

For tokyo, i thought kinda the only cool part was Akibahara, their technocenter. It's really big and you can buy tons of stuff there (duty free if you have your passport with you...like 5% off or something). Not everything is super cheap, but for the most part there are pretty good prices. Ronald liked tokyo better I think, because he has quite a background in animae, whereas I have no idea apart from pokemon (is that even animae?). So anyways, we went in a few Taito places and stuff...pretty much I would say to go to the technomart and then get the hell out of that city. There is a famous fish market there though, and we tried to go the last day only to find out its closed on Sundays...sad day.

I thought Kyoto was nice and wish we'd had more time there. There are cool side trips like going to Nara or Hiroshima (was sick about missing this one!). From kyoto you can also go down to Osaka. Anyways, for Kyoto, you have to hit the main palaces. The city buses and metro are really easy to use, though the JR line is operated by an independent company, so they have separate tickets. There are tons of tours offered, but unless you want to know the history, it would be pretty worthless. We did it on our own and just saw the places, which was fine for us. The main ones I can remember that we saw were the Golden Pavillion and one that is a famous scene with the water in front...

Also we went to Harajuku to try to get a glimpse of the Japanese that dress in crazy baby doll or emo outfits. Gion was another place we visited which is the area that Geisha traditionally live in. We only saw one and then went to the river restaurants. There are probably about a billion and they have outside patios over the water. We didn't sit outside because you had to order one of their set menus and they were all filled with fish, of course.

Japan in general is expensive. You can get some cheap street food in some places, but other than that it's sort of ridiculous. Basically, you just have to prepare yourself before going that you're gonna spend a lot of money and to not let it get you down. It was hard sometimes, like when we stayed in a capsule hotel...I paid like 50 for one night, but had to rationalize it...only in Japan, ya know? The capsule was SUPER comfortable (it's like a jjimjjilbang...but for sleeping it has capsules or the open area). The ryokans are the traditional housings in Japan, but if you go to a traditional one, they're in the country and like 300 a night! That was too much for me, but mainly we just wouldn't have had the time to travel there and back because our trip was so short. In Kyoto we stayed in a hostel called Capsule Ryokan and it was really nice -- no curfew, the people spoke English, free internet, a common kitchenette, storage. It was nice. I cant remember how much that was though.

The money was a little hard for me at first but I figured out a trick: 1,000 yen = 10.00. You just put the period after two of the digits and add a bit. So really 1,000 is more like 13 dollars. Our bus tickets were like 5,000, so they were around 60.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb