Tokyo Times...


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shinjuku
April 1st 2007
Published: April 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Skyscrapers in the eye!Skyscrapers in the eye!Skyscrapers in the eye!

Arty shot from mark

Tokyo Times...

 Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shinjuku By mark and chrissie
April 1st 2007
Mark and Chrissie Hayward
Day 4 - Today we headed for Shinjuku. Shinjuku station is one of the busiest in the World with over 2 million people a day passing through it - it was massive!And we got lost!Again!After a long trek through the underground paths we emerged into the skyscraper district of Tokyo and found our way to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building  where you are able to go up to the 45th floor to a viewing area and look out over the city. The view was incredible and, supposedly on a clear day you should be able to see Fuji. However we had a very sunny day and we couldn‘t see it so we think ‘they‘ are lying!

With lunchtime approaching we grabbed a picnic and headed for Shinjuku Gyoen Park to eat and to take in the views of the cherry blossom。Although Ueno Park is the most famous spot for blossom viewing we preferred it here as it  felt a lot more relaxed and we could sit on the grass and take in the sights. We wandered the park and found the traditional Japanese area with a traditional tea house overlooking the lake - very picturesque.

After the tranquility of the park we decided to head for the sleazier part of town for a potter around East Shinjuku   famed for its red light district!This is a crazy area, with video screens on the streets, music blaring from everywhere, neon lights etc.

When darkness hit we headed back to the viewing floors in the skyscraper district to see the city with all the lights on. The views were mesmerising but unfortunatley the camera battery had run out so you‘ll have to take our word for it! We now take a spare battery out with us every day! We are planning to try this again when we get back to Tokyo before flying to Beijing in a couple of weeks time.



Day 5 - We started the day with our first real language challenge. Everywhere we have been up to now someone has been able to help us if we‘ve got stuck or we‘ve managed to make them understand. We tried to call ahead to Takayama to book a hostel and could not either explain what we wanted or understand the replies to us - communication is a lot harder over the phone! Thankfully the receptionist where we were staying made the call for us. Phew!

Our plan for today was to go to the Knightsbridge of Tokyo, Ginza. We first went to the Tokyo International Forum which has a fab interior. We found a huge electronics store over about 6 floors which we had a good look around. Mark really wanted the huge flat screen TV we saw that was hung from the ceiling of the shop however it cost around 25000 pounds! After that we went to the Sony Building where you can try all of their new kit - cameras, etc. We left our mark (and Chrissie) by adding some pictures of us on the big screens in the shop.

Finding the shops a little too rich for our meagre budget we went over to Shibuya where we wandered around, and found a massive food market selling the most expensive melons Ive ever seen (21,000¥) about 100 pounds! We then found a Starbucks right on the corner one of the busiest crossroads in Tokyo. We just sat there for half an hour or so watching as thousands of people swarmed across every minute.Well worth a visit if you ever make it to Tokyo. 

At around 6pm we met up with a Canadian Family we had got chatting to in our hostel who were going to a local dojo to practice Iaido with their teacher who is 10th dan. We went to watch the practice which was incredible and something we were really excited to be able to do whilst in Japan. Many thanks again Peter for arranging this visit for us.

Loads of love C and M x

PS Katy Evans - we have lost your email address can you email us and we will catch you up on out plans for July!






Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Tokyo towers!Tokyo towers!
Tokyo towers!

The skyscrapers at West Shinjuku.
Blossom in Shinjuku park ... Blossom in Shinjuku park ...
Blossom in Shinjuku park ...

Mmmmm, pretty blossom!
Tea house in Shinjuku park.Tea house in Shinjuku park.
Tea house in Shinjuku park.

Tea on the lake anyone?
C and M sleazing it upC and M sleazing it up
C and M sleazing it up

Mmmmmm red light district!
Sony buildingSony building
Sony building

Check out the fitty on the screen in the sony building!
Ouuuuuuch!Ouuuuuuch!
Ouuuuuuch!

Who said traveling was for the young!
Crossroads ... Crossroads ... 
Crossroads ... 

...but not as you have ever seen it before!
Iaido in TokyoIaido in Tokyo
Iaido in Tokyo

Stunning sword work 
Iaido in Tokyo 2Iaido in Tokyo 2
Iaido in Tokyo 2

Learning from the master! 
Iaido in Tokyo - PeterIaido in Tokyo - Peter
Iaido in Tokyo - Peter

Nice moves Peter!


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb