Arigato Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shibuya
April 19th 2017
Published: April 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We are hurtling to the airport on the 16.40 Narita Express, Tuesday afternoon in Tokyo blurring by. We missed all this with our late night arrival. The darkness from two weeks ago is filled with city and suburbs.

The train line is part of life with no buffer zone between track and buildings to speak of. They don't have the luxury of space we take for granted back home. The houses get bigger and the apartment blocks fewer as we get closer to Narita. Space is still at a premium with car pack stackers still common. Rice paddies and bamboo forests now surround the houses and people go about their daily lives. I see a farmer walking on the ridge between two paddies with his dog in tow and children, finished school for the day are riding their bikes on the roads beside the train track.

I'm desperately trying to soak up as much of Japan as I can before we hit the sterile international zone of the airport departure lounge. The train tv screens list the QF62 as delayed by at least 45 minutes.

We meticulously sorted our garbage before packing and checking out at 11. Our bags are noticebly heavier but not filled to bursting. This Airbnb has been a perfect size in a wonderful location. The Airbnb experience isn't as pure as it was in Europe where we stayed in people's actual houses. All of the Japanese Airbnbs have been managed affairs with the smiling face on the website possibly owning the property but having no interaction personally. It's still a great way to live while travelling but it doesn't feel as communal.

The temps are high 20s today and walking around Shinjuku feels like a diferrent place. We watch the Hotel Gracery's Godzilla performance from the street and kill time shopping and walking around.

A few last minute purchases from BIC, Don Quixote and the fashion shops of Lumine Est. Delicious burgers from The Smile burger joint - Deaks proclaims his "the best I've ever had" and finally an ice cream in a biscuit cone.

Arigato Japan! You've been splendid.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb