Fuji is hiding!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Akasaka
October 6th 2006
Published: October 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We caught a train early to get back to Nagoya, and another to go to Tokyo. We spent most of the day on the train. We took a slower train so we could get out at Fuji and have a nice view of Mt. Fugi, but when we arrive it was so foggy you couldn’t see the mountain at all, so we decided not to get out. Tokyo was harder to navigate than Kyoto or other tourist spots because there seemed to be very little English on signs, and the public transit system took awhile to figure out. They have a huge subway system as well as a local train system. Since Tokyo is so large, it was hard to find someone who could tell us how to get to our hotel, so after several wrong turns we braved the gale outside and headed out to where we were staying. It was only a ten minute walk to the hotel, but with one umbrella between the two of us, we got mostly soaked on the way. Every time you came to a side street, gale force winds would push you over and your umbrella would go askew and we would get more wet. We were never more happy to find our hotel, and we left puddles on the floor when we checked in. I took a nice hot bath, warmed up and dried off, letting the rain dissipate a bit. Finally, feeling like we wanted to experience some of Tokyo before calling it a night, we got on the subway and headed to the discount electronics market. Although not as good as those in Hong Kong, it is still supposed to be reasonable. We mostly looked around, and got to our last shop as things were starting to close down when I spotted a really cool camcorder. It is tiny and digital and can take pictures too. To my shock and amazement, Steve actually started bartering with the guy, and managed to talk him down 15%. I was so excited, because now we can take some videos of our lives here and send them home. Anyways, we ended up buying it. We call it “the gun” because it comes with this leather case that looks like a gun, and it is so small I can easily carry it around in my purse. So that made my night; we took the subway back to our hotel and were glad to get a good night’s sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb