Science- what is it all about?


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tochigi » Nikko
January 11th 2017
Published: January 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well, we know and we can tell you a fair bit after visiting the Osaka Science Museum. The Osaka Science Museum is a four-floor building filled with wonderment and fun. We were immediately impressed when we found 'Cubekon'- a robot that solves Rubix cubes.

It is in this museum that you can interact and learn about astronomy, technology, geology, chemistry, physics and biology. We looked through old astronomy equipment, played with circuits and sniffed fragrances (including gross pizza and takoyaki). One of the best floors was the second floor, called: 'Science is fun'. We completed a series of marble runs and played strange musical instruments. James enjoyed checking himself out in the hall of mirrors.

After a morning of exploring we went to the science show. The theme was 'static electricity'. This topic could really make your hair stead on end. Even though the whole show was in Japanese, we were able to follow along pretty easily. The presenter did some pretty neat experiments with Faraday cages, Van der Graph conductors and lots of balloons. The man had an endless supply of balloons.

All-scienced out for the day, we thought we'd do something completely different, so we strolled down to 'America-Mura' or 'America Town.' This is a small district of Osaka that has an America theme. At least, it is supposed to. It was one of the most underwhelming things I have ever experienced. I was expecting big signs, American flags and the greasiest, most disgusting burgers money could buy. Instead I found a Maccas, a burger kings, a Starbucks and a few blocks worth of western clothing shops. Ah well... you can't have everything.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.517s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.4292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb