Okinawan People are Great


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa
June 25th 2009
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Host mom had some guests over last night, a man and woman from Okinawa and it made me remember how different Okinawa was from Tokyo.
Everything they did contrasted with the proper Japanese conservative of this city. The guy, big, round faced, chubby, guy walks in with a bright hawaiian shirt and shorts. They don't wear those in this city. Shorts are pretty rare although its plenty hot. The woman has her hair cut short and spiky and just kind of crows this excited greeting to everyone, not afraid to call people by first names, and immediately starts going on about how tokyo girls diet too much and are too thin and asked me if I liked girls like that or girls with "pillows." I am a pillow guy and that made her happy.
Okinawa is kind of like the hawaii of Japan. People are laid back, chill, not afraid to enjoy and let themselves go a bit. As a contrast to Tokyo where that just doesnt happen, even at the colleges there is this ingrained tentativeness, at least at first. (one you get inside a group, like the circle, people are wonderful). America doesn't have that so i think there is an even bigger contrast between the islanders and the islanders.

At dinner I talked the whole night with the guy. Music, drugs, how to make banana mousse from tofu, we were getting into a talk about peoples egos, how we don't like them, and how justice is universal and law is manmade. Then we had to go which was the most disappointing thing I have experienced in Japan. I just wanted to continue talking about this stuff with this happy okinawan man.

Advertisement



24th August 2009

I love Okinawa
I have to agree.!.. i love the people from Okinawa! They are so friendly and so happy all the time!. i probably go to Okinawa atleast once or twice a year to get away and be around happy go lucky people!.. Okinawa Japan

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb