Nagasaki, Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Nagasaki » Nagasaki
March 5th 2009
Published: March 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nagasaki, Japan


It is 6:00 P.M., Thursday, here in Japan as we leave Nagasaki and head overnight for Busan, South Korea. Please note that when you look on your map for Busan, it may be spelled ´Pusan¡. More to come about Pusan tomorrow. We are now 14 hours ahead of you, so it is 4:00 in the morning on Thursday for the Martin/Doolittles and Sarah Merriwether.

Nagasaki is the Japanese city on which the US dropped the second atomic bomb and the one that ended World War II. Japan surrendered 3 days after the second bomb was dropped. Granny Lynne and I got off the ship and went on a tour to the exact site where the bomb exploded. You wouldn?t know today that is where you are standing, except that the Japanese have turned the area into a beautiful park to commemorate all of the thousands of people who died in the bombing. One of the pictures I am enclosing is of the Peace Sculpture which is part of the memorial. We also went to the museum which has all the horrific photographs and memorabilia to remind everyone how terrible nuclear warfare can be. Today, Nagasaki is a large, thriving Japanese metropolitan area that bears no resemblance to the city it was in August, 1945, after the bomb.

Loads more love to all, Granddaddy and Granny Lynne


Please click on the links below for the tracking map, the Queen Victoria Bridge webcam and the Queen Victoria tracking map.

Chuck and Lynne's Satellite Tracking Map

Webcam on the Bridge of the Queen Victoria

Queen Victoria GPS Tracking Map



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb