Off again! Nagano here we are


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Nagano
September 7th 2008
Published: September 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our trainOur trainOur train

And so we begin our journey in Japan..
Well we are off again! YAY!!! This time it is Japan, Helsinki, France, London, Dubai, Hong Kong. All due to our friends wedding (not that we need an excuse!). Anyway we flew out Sat night to Narita, Japan. We're travelling with Jill & Ken as they are also going to the wedding and when we told them of our plans to go to Japan first they could not resist joining us!

So we fly out, overnight to arrive in Japan early morning - went straight to the JR ticket office and started our rail pass, hopped on a train and went to Nagano. Was in desperate need of a shower (and sleep but hey that could wait - shower couldn't). Made it to the hotel only to be told rooms not quite ready, but before we knew it Japanese efficiency kicked in and we had our rooms. So we'd been in the country only hours and had been shown how friendly, and helpful the locals were - but wait there is more to come..

So for those who don't know, Nagano was the site of the 1998 Winter Olympics but of course it is September - there is not much snow around, so the city doesn't look that wintry. But Nagano has more then snow to offer - it has a temple (surprise there!). This temple dates back to the 1500's and was built due to the first image of Buddha found in Japan. The temple has actually moved 11 times due to being destroyed from fire each time but has been in its current spot since early 1600's. Anyway we wandered up to the temple checking out the local town, we did get caught in a light rain shower and seeked shelter under a shop canopy. Only for the shop owner to come running out and offer us umbrellas. We're not sure if she was being friendly or just didn't want us hanging about her shopfront! Extremely nice of her and we continued on our way to find a little soba (local delicacy) place for noodles, delicious, hoping all are meals in Japan are this good!! We eventually made it to the temple we check out the site, watched the locals burn incense, waft it over themselves and go inside the temple to pay their respects.

Now while the temple was lovely and impressive, i was in need of that sleep, so probably didn't give it the justice it deserved. Headed back to the hotel and by 6pm was out, dead to the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb