Sushi Overload


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto
October 1st 2012
Published: October 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, Sorry for the delay in blogging; some technical issues, like I didn't know how to do it. Sorted for the moment, so now that we have arrived in Takayama I will recap about our 10 days in Kyoto.

THE CITY was fun. Not so many non Japanese tourists, good for walking although the footpath cyclists nearly took us out from time to time. Fairly compact, surrounded by lovely shaggy hills.

THE WEATHER, great. Hot, about 30, a bit steamy but generally fine. Rained on our last day of sightseeing, and we are still soaked I think.

TRANSPORT. We love it. I can even use public transport here, although it is easier just to follow Henry around. The subway is a breeze, the city trains organised, logical efficient but not particularly uptight. Had a bit of a moment when we first caught the Shinkansen. It was a bit like seeing the yeti or the Loch Ness monster, then jumping on its back for a ride. It is an unbelievably cool train.

TEMPLES. Yes. Many. Golden, chunky, peaceful, kooky, suburban, magnificent. God is everywhere, the bells are ringing and messages are being left. Truman is our resident mystic - has seen more Ramayanas than most 10-year-olds - and it possible that even he may be templed out.

FOOD. Of course. It is great. We are hardly eating off the top shelf, but the department/railway station/convenience store/supermarketmeals are so fresh and interesting and affordable, it does not matter. Lovely sushi and sashimi platters, ramen bowls, gyoza...you should see the Schlechta children fall upon a beautifully composed array of sushi. A complete wipeout. We are loving the tonkatsu, which is crumbed and fried pork or chicken and is, clearly, just a Japanese schnitzel. The sweets are usually green and kooky - red bean or green tea.

HOTEL. The Sakara Inn was great. Really compact but fun, with the kids living upstairs in a mezzanine that was like a treehouse. Neat little kitchen, nestled in a little market lane in an interesting part of town. And no one fell out of the treehouse, which was a bonus.

HIGHLIGHTS.

The monkey park on the outskirts of town hit the spot. Monkeys. Kids. Kids feeding monkeys. What is not to love?

Sushi.

The nightly kimono shows Joni staged in our room, complete with elaborate scoring system.

Kids getting me a can of coffee every morning from the vending machine in the market lane.

Kyoto by the river as the sun sets - surprisingly gentle and peaceful.

The Shinkansen. I missed the Concorde and the Apollo missions, so this is the next best thing.

The Golden Pavillion. The temle of choice for Japanese visitors, a shimmering vision floating on a lake.

Two glorious Japanese knives that we bought and that will finally bring out the domestic Zen goddess in me.



Hope you are all well.

The Schlechtas


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb