Kurana and Kibune - bushwalking Japan style


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
May 27th 2008
Published: May 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today Darren headed into the hills to get away from the hustle and bustle of Kyoto. He took a privately run, ultra swish local train to the small village of Kurana. He met Oon and Hille, a lovely danish couple on the way. We headed together for the local onsen. Onsens are hot, natural springs and this one was outdoor and in a very beautiful setting. After a quick soak Darren said good bye and started a funicular ride then walk up Mt Kurana. He now understands why obesity rates are so low in Japan - there's steps galore! Virtually the whole route up the 500m hill then down was stepped. A popular route with locals as there's shinto shrines everywhere on the mount. Then Darren returned to Kyoto to take a 15.10 train with Rodney and Inge to Kanazawa on the west coast. Inge has been sleeping poorly (not due to snoring!!!) so we have parted ways for two days so she can enjoy western style accommodation. Tonight Darren is looking forward to dining at an indonesian restaurant for something different.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb