So much for a day with less walking!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
June 30th 2018
Published: June 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today was a travel day as we headed from Osaka to Kyoto for the next leg of our tour. We wanted an early start So were up early, packed, breakfast and on to train station.

We activated our JR Rail Pass so we now have all of Japan at our fingertips. While we were there we booked our seats on the osaka/Kyoto leg for today and also for the Kyoto/Hiroshima leg on Tuesday morning. Apparently the trains can get quite full so better to be prepared ahead of time.

We caught a fast train to Kyoto and then the shuttle bus to the hotel. We arrived prior to check in but they were able to get our room cleaned and ready a couple of hours early,which meant that we could drop our bags off before heading out. When we got to the room we discovered that they had booked us into a twin room. Looks like I won't have the blankets stolen for a couple of days!

Our hotel is located next to a massive temple that was set up by a Buddhist and still operated as a working temple. It was very impressive and we happened to sit in on a service of some sor. Despite several attempts to find out exactly what was going on we struggled with the language barrier and never found out what was going on.

From here we caught a taxi to Gion, which is the home of geish. Wandered around the streets there and saw some very interesting shops. One had fragments of kimonos fused between glass which were stunning and we had a drink at a tea house. Rule when travelling: don't stop for a drink in an elegant tea house in the biggest tourist destination in the city. It didnt break the bank but it was an expensive drink!

We caught the train back to Kyoto and the shuttle back to the hotel. It was the first time since being here that we missed a connection while navigating the trains. Only cost us 15 minutes so no harm done.

After freshening up for dinner, we went down and had a nice meal with the other delegates from the conference. One of the people at our table recognised me from last conference. Apparently he has a picture of us drinking at the bar!

We finished dinner and turned in for an early night after an enjoyable day.

Today's random thought: Japanese people seem to disappear once they leave the train station. The station is bustling but, once outside, there seems to be very few people around.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb