Follow the bear...


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto » Senbon
June 7th 2006
Published: June 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It's been a laid back kind of day today. We started the day with a walk up to a temple near to our digs. Now normally this would be quite a quiet, calm affair but throw in about 1000 secondary school kids and you've got bedlam! It was fun watching the kids get all excited about seeing foreigners and we enjoyed being interviewed by different groups as we walked around. It was the whole 'celebrity for a day' feeling again :-) At one point we headed down a deserted path, then noticed a small group of girls were following us. For a laugh, I started running away from them to see how they reacted. The next thing I heard was a squeal of horror from the girls who then started chasing after me! It was a very Benny Hill moment!!

Later on we headed to the Senbon area of Kyoto to commence Operation Jish Rescue, which involved a very long bus ride and an awful lot of drawings and miming in the Kyoto Bus Company's lost and found department. After about 10 minutes of trying to explain what we were looking for, the penny seemed to drop and a second later out popped a friendly furry face! Jish is now back with us, safe and sound and worn out after his little adventure. I can't believe how lucky we are to find him again - needless to say, he is getting tagged with our hotel name and phone number from now on!

While we were on our long bus journey, we passed an interesting looking market area so after leaving the bus depot, we thought we'd check it out. I got the feeling that tourists hardly ever go there as we got curious glances and tentative hellos from all the shop keepers as we passed. It was a nice change from all the touristy places we have been visiting and the change in pace was also welcome. We discovered a fab little bakery in the market selling stuff we had never tried before. The most interesting thing was a french style baguette baked with lemon zest. It was an odd taste at first but it worked well. We also had a pastry filled with sweet white bean paste that was strangley tasty. It's been fun trying out all these new flavours and so far, soft tofu is the only thing I haven't liked.

Tomorrow is our last day in Kyoto and we're meeting up with Junko again, our guide from Monday. As I write this, it's nearly 6am already and I haven't had any sleep due to a number of incredibly itchy mosquito bites around my ankles :-( Guess I'd better go back to bed and see if I can get at least 40 winks before we head out for another fun-filled day.

Advertisement



8th June 2006

Hello!
Hi guys, Steve and I are loving the tales from your travels. They really brighten up the dullness of work!! I'm glad you found your furry faced friend again, not quite worked out what it is yet??? I've got 23 days till Brett and I fly to Japan, can't wait. We are going to be in China around 9th - 15th July... any chance of meeting up? Take care, Love Claire xx
8th June 2006

bites
hi kids i hope your bites are getting better .and we are glad that jish is back safe and well all my friends where realy happy when i told them he was back .take care now spk to you both soon love mom and dad plus lee xxxxxx

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb