Hakone


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kanagawa » Hakone
September 16th 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

A must on Jill's itinerary was Hakone. This is located just a hour from Tokyo, via train in the Mt Fuji National Park area. Coming up from Hiroshima is was a bit of travel. Several hours on a train, then onto a bus up into the mountains.

We made use of the Hakone Free Pass. Not an actual free pass, but it includes all transport in the area. It includes the buses, trains, cable cars and boats that take you all over the area.

As mentioned we got in late afternoon to our destination - Fuji Guesthouse. This came highly recommended and we saw why!!. Firstly it is a private ryokan run by a family, secondly it has on onsen. The thing with onsens is that they are gender specific and you need to be naked. Having a private one means as a couple you can book in a time and use it privately. This place has several - both indoors and outdoors. Thirdly - the family is so lovely!!!! They were extremely friendly and helpful. If you go here you must stay here!!!

Anyway after a long day traveling and a soak in the onsen (not a long one - feels like it was about 40C so perfect for just before bed time and the outside one is better for dealing with the heat!) we were ready to explore the area. Actually all Jill wanted was to see Mt Fuji, so we headed off...

First was the bus, then the train, then the cable car (over volcanic rock with lovely sulfur steam rising,nice....) then the boat - and not just any boat - a Pirate ship!!!! Yep that's right they have pirate ship tourist boats!!! Awesome!!!

Also you'll be happy to know we saw Mt Fuji - it was just the peak but we saw it!! Not quite satisfied, Jill and Ken did stick around while Matt & I left and made our way to Tokyo.

Hakone area is extremely popular with tourist, especially day trippers from Tokyo, and you can see why - Mountains, lakes, forests - absolutely gorgeous, with a some great walks also.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb