Kanazawa: pine trees and snow!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Ishikawa » Kanazawa
March 6th 2018
Published: March 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Kanazawa in the morning and took the bus to our guesthouse, where we left our bags before going for a walk. We went inside the 21st century museum, a modern art museum, where we didn't spend much time. I have to admit we don't really like (nor understand) modern art. One piece consisted of several screens displaying videos of an octopus and sounds of a cow, and there was a yellow t-shirt hanging above the screens... There were also long legs everywhere, with a plug going out of the shoe, and a fake swimming pool from where we could see people on the lower level.
We then walked to the Kenrokuen park, which was beautiful. It was a warm and sunny day and we really enjoyed walking around. Kanazawa is known for the ropes holding the branches (to prevent them from breaking under the weight of snow) on every tree, especially the pine trees, which gives the trees - and this park - a unique look.
We walked around the castle but only saw the outside. We came back to our guesthouse and met a French couple who had just lived and worked in Australia so they gave us lots of recommendations for when we go there! We spent the evening with them and went to a Ramen restaurant. We wanted to leave after one night and take a day bus to Tokyo but all of the buses were booked.
The next day, we looked at other possibilities to get to Tokyo but the only one was the bullet train, called Shinkansen, for one hundred pounds each. We decided to stay one more night in Kanazawa. It rained heavily all day and we didn't do much. We wanted to visit Myoryu-ji temple, or Ninja-dera, a temple used during the wars with lots of hidden passages etc (hence the nickname: Ninja temple). It seemed really interesting but we apparently had to book a tour in advance so we couldn't visit it.
In the evening, we cooked a meal which we had with the French couple, Maeva and Corentin. We had a nice time chatting. On the next morning, we walked to the train station through the Samurai district and then took the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Tokyo, which cost us a lot of money...!!

We do not regret going to Kanazawa, the gardens were beautiful and we were lucky to see them on a beautiful day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb