Kobe Beef


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hyogo » Kobe
March 30th 2006
Published: April 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The next day after coming back from Noashima, we decided to catch a Ferry across to Kobe as the ferry's from Takamatsu were much cheaper than any of the trains. With some time to kill in the morning, we first decided to check out Takamatsu's garden. I'm really glad we did as it has been my favourite garden so far.

It was a lot bigger at more open than any other garden I've been to, and there are beautiful bridges and mountain backdrops. There are also masses of fish in the garden ponds who will swim up to you hoping for food. Not the best survial technique in the wild, but the kids love them.

Anyway, for those who know of my legendary sea sickness I actually handled the four hour ferry pretty well. The ferry was big and spacious and I found so long as I didn't stand up I was fine!

We arrived in Kobe in the evening and decided after reading the guidebook that there wasn't all that much we really wanted to see here. Andy pretty much just wanted to come and try Kobe beef. But it did say that it was a great place to be based for a day trip to Himeji.

Himeji is a small town about 40 mins on the train from Kobe and has one of the best and largest Japanese castles (Himejijo). It is massive. The place was packed with tourists - it's tourist season for the japanese as well as international tourists because its Haname (cherry blossom season). But you can go in and wander around the inside walls of the castle and then inside the main hall. Everything is pretty sparse as the castle has been rebuilt but not refurbished as such. The main hall is 7 stories high and the stairs up to each level are more like ladders. On the way there is a few exhibits of swords and armour and old stamps and prints - but some of the rooms on the way up are basically empty with not much to see.

Still, structurally it was quite fascinating as you can see how the castle defences were designed to protect against attacks.

After walking around Himejijo, we headed back to Kobe for a late Kobe Beef lunch. For those who don't know, Kobe Beef is pretty much world famous for its tender marbled meat. The meat has a lot of fat in it which keeps it very soft and moist. We went to a restaurant that was recommended to us by an english teacher we met in Takamatsu, and they cooked us lunch teppanyaki style - where the chef basically cuts up and cooks the food on a hot plate in front of you. Mmmmm Oishi!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb