Two weeks in Hokkaido's national parks


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hokkaido
September 25th 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The BEST holiday I've been on yet. Ever.


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Sleeping space on the ferrySleeping space on the ferry
Sleeping space on the ferry

Being poor uni students, Amelia and I decided to take the 20 hour ferry to Hokkaido from Maizuru near-ish to Kyoto, rather than to fly. Turned out brilliantly- a sleeping space in this room of 12, a ferry that was more like a cruise ship, with a big bath overlooking the ocean, and shops and restaurants. Great to be forced to relax, and have so much open space to look over, for such a long period of time...
Otaru accomodationOtaru accomodation
Otaru accomodation

BEST little hostel/inn I've stayed in. Wish we were here more than just one night- beautiful cozy feel, in a traditional wooden Japanese house.
Shinyama, from Usu mountainShinyama, from Usu mountain
Shinyama, from Usu mountain

This "new mountain" was formed n just two years from the volcanic off-shoots of Mount Usu. Interesting area
HokkaidoHokkaido
Hokkaido

The South Western peninsular of Hokkaido
Lake ToyaLake Toya
Lake Toya

From near our hostel
Lake ToyaLake Toya
Lake Toya

Just beautiful to see such blue sky. It had been a while!
Lake ToyaLake Toya
Lake Toya

Don't stay at Toya Youth Hostel (which is actually more of a business hotel) if you ever go to Hokkaido! Shocking management (got hung up on twice), pokey smokey rooms, and the most foul bath we had ever seen... Mould EVERYWHERE! Safer not to have one!
Hydranges in NoboribetsuHydranges in Noboribetsu
Hydranges in Noboribetsu

These were growing everywhere- just beautiful
NoboribetsuNoboribetsu
Noboribetsu

Excited to see trees and greenery, and no people!
Noboribetsu Onsen Town (hotspring town)Noboribetsu Onsen Town (hotspring town)
Noboribetsu Onsen Town (hotspring town)

Hell Valley (Jigoku Dani) The place where all of the thousands of litres of hot spring water comes from for the public baths of the town each day
Lake ShikotsukoLake Shikotsuko
Lake Shikotsuko

We couldn't believe that noone else was out on the banks watching this BEAUTIFUL sunset. Didn't complain though!
Lake ShikotsukoLake Shikotsuko
Lake Shikotsuko

The coast was clear, UNTIL we decided to go swimming! Still, so worth it.
Koke-no-domonKoke-no-domon
Koke-no-domon

An amazing moss-covered gorge, which because of the unique climate of this area in Shikotsu-Toya National Park hosts some types of moss that aren't found anywhere else in the world. Unfortunately, tourists had been starting to rip the moss of the walls, and so entry to the gorge is now forbidden, with a guardman guarding the entry to the gorge. Fortunately, whilst bathing with the owner of the YH the night before we had planned to go, an old lady of 70-odd years who'd lived in the area for just as long, I mentioned our disappointment at not being able to get in, and she gave us bikes to borrow for the morning, instructed us to get up and leave by 6am, and ride the 20 odd kms to the gorge and walk through it before the guardman starts at 8. The ride was harder than expected, but we made it and it was just increadible. SO beautiful, and excitement added to by the fact that she warned us that there will probably be bears in there... "un, iru...kamo...shirenai..." Back by 10, with a warm full breakfeast made by the beautiful lady waiting for us on the dining room table...
Bears!!!Bears!!!
Bears!!!

Heard what we think was a bear twice, but no encounters! Our little bell worked!


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb