Hakodate & the Blossoms


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hokkaido » Hakodate
April 28th 2023
Published: April 28th 2023
Edit Blog Post

2023_Blog 33_Japan



April 22 Port of Call: Hakodate, Japan – Weather: 50°F/10°C – Scattered clouds – Winds: 50+ mph.



Overnight we had expected the heavy winds to continue but thankfully they didn’t materialize. However today they found us and churned up whitecaps in the harbor. At one point the captain expressed some concern about how the wind could possibly impede our departure.

As Hakodate is situated in the northern region of Japan spring has just started and the cherry blossoms were at their glory. Luck was with us as today was the second day of viewing the blossoms at their fullest. Most of Hakodate population seemed to be out enjoying the spectacle as well.

Our excursion today took us to the Kanazawa Castle Park & Kenrokuen Garden. The first castle was built on this site in 1580-83. The current design of the castle, a western-style star-pentagonal shaped pattern was adopted in the 1850’s and is known as Fort Goryokaku. Central to the site is the Hakodate Magistrate’s Office which was reconstructed between 2006 and 2010. The 1,000 square meter totally wooden building was constructed using traditional methods by Miyadaiku carpenters.

Overlooking the castle and park is the Goryokaku tower, a modern structure, but unfortunately, we could not go up and have a look around as there was en enormous wait line and limited elevator space.

We ended our outing at the Hakodate Morning Market, another market primarily concerned with products from the sea. Once again, we were blown away with the quantity of seafood and the size of many of the crabs and lobsters on display.

The market was within walking distance of the ship so we walked back to our floating accomodations.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb