Hiroshima and Miyajima


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima
March 26th 2010
Published: March 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Atomic Bomb DomeAtomic Bomb DomeAtomic Bomb Dome

It gives you a small electric shock when you first see the dome, a powerful reminder of WWII.
On the first part of our trip we went to Hiroshima, Miyajima and later Kuyshu. We had both bought a Japan Railway Pass which is certainly well worth considering if you are planning to travel independently in Japan. Furthermore, train travel in Japan is a fantastic experience - the trains are always on time and you can sit there comfortably while travelling 2-300 km per hour.

First stop, Hiroshima is a lovely and dynamic city but as most people know it has not always been so. Hiroshima was the target of the first atomic bomb world ever saw with total destruction as a result. Exactly how many people died will never be known. The decision to keep the ruins of the old exhibition building standing after the war was over was probably a controversial one but what a powerful reminder it is today on how vulnerable life is.

The ferry journey to Miyajima is beautiful and refreshing. It gives people plenty of photo opportunity as it goes close to the photogenic torii in front of the Shinto shrine. The atmosphere on Miyajima is nice and relaxing with the many deer wandering in the streets. There are several interesting tourist
Hiroshima tranesHiroshima tranesHiroshima tranes

The tradition of making paper cranes still live in memory of Sadako Sasaki and for world peace.
attractions on the island but we didn't have much time, we decided to focus on two of them, the shrine and Mt. Misen. The Shinto shrine is a pier-like structure with many buildings all wooden and in the distinctive orange and white colours. Mt. Misen can be reached by the ropeway. The speed of ropeway is very steady which gives the passenger a nearly meditative feeling - all in their own small cable car high above the forest with vue of the blue, blue Inland Sea and to the sounds of exotic birds...

From our short stop in Hiroshima and Miyajima, we went further to the south, leaving the main island Honshu for Kyushu, a island created by some great volcanoes - but much more about that later!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Miyajima ToriiThe Miyajima Torii
The Miyajima Torii

The famous torii outside the Itsukushima Shrine, Miyajima.
Itsukushima Shrine Itsukushima Shrine
Itsukushima Shrine

Today this beautiful 16th century Shinto shrine is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Miyajima RopewayMiyajima Ropeway
Miyajima Ropeway

The trip with the ropeway to the top of Mt Misen is a attraction on its own.
On top of the world...On top of the world...
On top of the world...

... Or at least of Miyajima. From Mt. Misen you have a great vue of the Inland Sea.


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb