My NHL Desktop Calendar (Derian Hatcher Day)


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima
January 12th 2006
Published: January 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

My New CalendarMy New CalendarMy New Calendar

Yup, it's 365 days of hockey goodness.
So one of the last purchases I made before leaving my Home and Native Land was a National Hockey League desktop calendar. You know, one of those page-a-day doolies. It’s true that there are a lot of cool page-a-day desktop calendars out there,—the word-of-the-day as well as the Far Side calendars both being appealing choices—but I figured that the NHL one was the ultra super coolest and deserved laying down my hard-earned JET money because it features a different National Hockey League player for every day of the year. That’s 365 hockey players in all. Hot diggidy!

I currently have my fantastic NHL calendar where I need it the most: on my desk at work. Not only is it good for checking the date, it is also useful for those times when I am longing for a little bit of home. I experience these longings quite often at work I might add, for as I frequently fantasize about places I’d rather be during the hours of 9 to 4, my thoughts inevitably turn to home. Furthermore, on those occasions when co-workers seated around me discuss insanely boring Japanese baseball and the latest lamentable loss by Hiroshima’s anemic baseball team, the Hiroshima Carp, I can gaze fondly at my NHL calendar to remind myself of the best game you can name: the good ol’ hockey game.

Seeing as I now have a different NHL player for every day of the year, and considering that the love some people set aside for, say, a partner or a spouse, I bestow upon the great game of hockey, I decided it would be fun to dedicate each day of the year to the corresponding player in my NHL page-a-day calendar. Isn’t that a clever idea? Thus, when I now refer to dates, I refer to them as So and So Day. Hey, can you come to my party? It’s on Tyler Arnason Day (Sat. Jan. 7). I sent the fax on Andrew Raycroft Day (Wed. Jan. 4). Uhg, my mother-in-law is having us over for dinner on Andrew Cassels Day (Tues. Jan. 10). See how much fun it is? I’m sure you’ve already noticed that, according to the title, today is Derian Hatcher Day. I'm pleased to say that throughout the year 2006, my postings will feature the date—according to my NHL desktop calendar scheme—in the title. It's just my small way of sharing the joy of my fantabulous new desktop calendar with you.

Happy Derian Hatcher Day, everyone!




Advertisement



12th January 2006

Ken, I have to admit I'm a little sad that my birthday was Andrew Cassels day. I can think of numerous hockey players who would have been much more suited to share my day. Hmm, maybe you can write the creators of the calendar so that we don't have this problem again next year. Thanks, Cheryl

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb