Oyters Galore


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima
February 5th 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lots & Lots of OystersLots & Lots of OystersLots & Lots of Oysters

A seafood lover's dream; free, huge, fresh out of the ocean, delicious oysters.
This is the reason I am in Japan. An experience like this just doesn’t happen anywhere. Akiko, Kenta, James and I went to the small island of Etajima, near my own home of Kure. We woke up early in the morning, arriving at the ferry port for 8pm and hopped on the first ferry and reached the Oyster festival at 9am. There we ate countless, FREE, huge, delicious oysters! Sure, we had to wait in line for a while but they were delicious and well worth the wait. We also had beer and sake with our oysters at about 11am, which felt a little funny, but admittedly satisfying.

Later that day with seafood and sake in our stomach, we went to the Japanese naval training grounds where we found out some interesting tidbits about Japan’s naval and military history. The huge site housed a museum dedicated to the many Japanese soldiers who had lost their lives in World War II by willingly giving their lives as kamikazes for the cause. In the small museum there were a number of final letters written by these very young soldiers to their families prior to being sent to die. They were very sad; it felt almost eerie to read them.

Anyways, it was a very interesting day all in my own backyard!

The photos tell more of the story...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Tako YakiTako Yaki
Tako Yaki

Not your everyday Mexican fare. Inside those small doughy balls of goodness is octopus. It grows on you. (Quick Japanese lesson: tako=octopus).
Sunrise SakeSunrise Sake
Sunrise Sake

It was 10... maybe 11am. If I have kids, please don't tell them.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb